Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

2nd Class/2st Class activities

Good morning all,
My scout who is aiming to get his 1st Class by October or November believes he has completed his camping for these two ranks although I told him he still needs more camping.
For 2nd Class he did three activities and two campouts. Done.
For 1st Class he did two activities. If I am reading this correctly he will need THREE more campouts. Correct? He will attend the troop campout on the 18th of September. He did attend two weeks of VR camp but didn’t sleep outside. I told him and his parents that it he could get some friends and a few scout over to his house and he planned on overnighter campout I would count that. No dice. He is convinced that he only needs two of three campouts. Is this a committee question?
Don’t ask me how he will do the Camping merit badge. That will be interesting. Thank you.
John

First Class, requirement 1 says:

Since joining Scouts BSA, participate in 10 separate troop/patrol activities, at least six of which must be held outdoors. Of the outdoor activities, at least three must include overnight camping. These activities do not include troop or patrol meetings. On campouts, spend the night in a tent that you pitch or other structure that you help erect, such as a lean-to, snow cave, or tepee.

Since it says “since joining” the total number of overnight camping events is 3, the 2 used for 2nd class plus 1 more. If he does attend the Sept 18 troop campout, he would have met the overnight camping requirement for First Class.

1 Like

Try breaking First Class requirement 1a. down into its component parts for him:

• Since joining Scouts BSA
  • participate in 10 separate troop / patrol activities
  • at least six of which must be held outdoors
  • Of the [six] outdoor activities, at least three must include overnight camping
  • These activities do not include troop or patrol meetings
  • On campouts, spend the night in a tent that you pitch or other structure that you help erect, such as a lean-to, snow cave, or tepee

First Class rank requirements (from the BSA’s COVID-19 FAQ):
1a – Virtual patrol or troop activities via video conferencing will be permitted.

Like @edavignon said, because it says “Since joining Scouts BSA”, you are looking at the total number of activities, outdoor activities, and campouts since joining the Scouts BSA program.

1 Like

I believe your son is well read.
No this is not a committee issue. In our troop, it would be the patrol leader’s responsibility to sign off on this. The SMs would have trained the PLs to take the plain reading of the requirement, and if something is unclear ask the SPL, who in turn may consult an ASM or two.

Between us adults, we may ask ourselves questions and point our the fine points of requirements. But, if what we suggest doesn’t make sense to the scouts, it’s usually because the scouts caught on to something that we missed.

Ed, Jenmifer, and Q,
Thank you very much for the clarification of this requitement. After looking over what he has done he will only need one outdoor activity (We have a Flag retirement next week) and are looking for a new location for our September campout. This should get him closer to his goal. Thanks again and stay safe.
John

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.