Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

2nd Class 7c

How does your Troop handle 2nd Class 7c Substance Abuse Risks? I have a scout who needs to get this done by April. Thang yiu.

Our Schools do DARE, so that is pretty easy. Do your schools do something similar?

1 Like

No our school no longer participates in DARE. This scout is homeschoiled

1 Like

If the Scout is being homeschooled, then he or she can do the requirements as part of their curriculum. The Scout would work with their teacher (parent?) to make sure all of the requirement is covered. Then the Scout would report back to the Scoutmaster or adult leader in the troop to finish up the requirement.

Another option is for the troop to put on its own program. We try to bring in a local police officer or medical professional to talk about the dangers of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. Your SPL could assign a Scout or group of Scouts to put together a program. There is a section in the Scout Handbook dealing with tobacco, alcohol, and drugs in the “Fitness” section that can help get them started.

2 Likes

I did some googling. It seems like the old “Drugs: A Deadly Game” is more or less no longer done by the BSA. I did find an offer at the Partnership for A Drug Free World that has a program free for Scout Leaders. https://www.drugfreeworld.org/request-info/drug-free-world-bsa-training-pack.html.

I found on Scouter Mom the following comments back from 2014:

“I went to my local police station and they gave me a copy of the DARE book they used when going to the local schools. While at the PD I spoke with the community officer and she was willing to come to any location and do a Substance Abuse Prevention Program for us. I put the word out to other troops and we had a class of over thirty scouts attend. The officer did a three and half hour presentation brought in props. reading materials and handouts for the scouts. She did a fantastic job and the adults in attendance were educated as well.”

“I’m a Scoutmaster in NE Wisconsin. During a meeting, I had our Scouts watch series of videos from http://www.drugfreeworld.org/download.html – I also purchased the age appropriate BSA pamphlet that compliments http://www.scouting.org/Home/drugsadeadlygame.aspx – There is a pledge on the back of the pamphlet. Once they watched the videos 90min and signed the pledge, I signed off the book. This was the first time we offered this training and the boys seemed to get a lot out of it .”

That’s what we do. One of our school district resource officer was happy to provide a workshop for the youth and parents in our Troop that covered this requirement.

2 Likes

Most communities have loads of resources to help, but you have to do some homework to find them, then contact to arrange or schedule, if they can provide a presentation.

Many “Substance Use Treatment and Recovery” centers would be happy to spend an hour with your unit or a small group of Scouts. They might even like a Skype session or a personal visit in their office from you and your Lone Scout. (If you are Lone Scouting, you may substitute “family” for “troop” in the requirement.)

Here are some great resources to get you started

https://www.drugabuse.gov/

We have local non-profits who receive government grants to do public education programs. They love to come out and do these presentations to fulfill their grant responsibilities.

Scouter Rob

2 Likes

This applies to most things in scouting: Meeting someone who actually addresses the requirement as part of their profession is the best way to learn the material. Even if only scout “needs” it for the requirement, the other scouts in the den might enjoy a meeting with your expert – even if it’s the same person who presented at their school. There’s a big difference between seeing someone from a seat in a classroom, and meeting them in your den circle.

I did this with for a Bear requirement with son #1 just a couple decades ago. We missed out on a meeting, so he and I dropped by a police station, and the duty officer gave him a personal tour.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.