Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Advanced Training for Square Knots?

What is considered Advance Training in regards to Training Key Square Knot? Are we talking like Wood Badge level or anything beyond basic or position training? Would Council Range Master courses count?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly which award you’re referring to, but I would recommend talking to your District or Council Training Chair about it.

One training award requirement says:

Participate in at least one additional supplemental or advanced training event at the council, area, region, or national level during the two years.

Some of the most common advanced courses in the BSA include Wood Badge, Leadership Challenge, Kodiak Challenge, Powder Horn, and Seabadge (BSA Guide to Leader Training, page 24), but it does not look to me that the requirement is necessarily limited to these courses. A council Range Master course might count, but you’d have to talk to the District/Council Training Chair to be sure.

My understanding is that nearly everything counts. The idea is to have the Scouter become a lifetime learner. For one who hasn’t taken BALOO, that counts, because it is supplemental. Attending an OA section conclave counts. All these things add the the quality of the program delivered to the Scouts.

I would say council range master training counts.

My opinions are based on my experience. If you’re not sure, check with the folks who will ultimately need to sign off on it.

1 Like

In this case it’s the Scouter’s Key Award and the Scouter Leader’s Training Award.

But good idea I’ll talk to the District Training Chair.

It would be nice. But I’ll double check with District

Generally, my experience has been “anything not on the Position Trained list for your position of responsibility” is counted. The advice to reach out to your district is the best way to know for sure, though.

Sounds to me like it would probably qualify as a “supplemental training event” at the council level. But again, talk with your District/Council Training Chair, because they are the ones who approve the award.

Cubmaster training key

I assume you are asking about

which includes (but is not limited to) the following requirements:

Training: ❏ Complete basic training for Cubmasters. ❏ Attend a pow wow or university of Scouting (or equivalent), or attend at least four roundtables (or equivalent) during each year of the tenure used for this award.
Performance: Do the following during the tenure used for this award: ❏ Participate in at least one additional supplemental or advanced training event at the council, area, region, or national level.

Previous related discussion

Related Training Awards

Cub Scouts Icon Boy Scouts IconVenturing Icon Sea Scout IconTraining Awards for Adult Leaders in Units
The training awards and keys are designed to recognize unit Scouters for tenure, training, and performance in their leadership roles. Progress record forms with the 2012 requirements for these awards can be found at the links below.

1 Like

So I was googling. Some councils offer “supplemental training” like mentioned above (Baloo, wood badge, etc). Some also mention university of scouting.

So, could you feasibly do 4 round tables to satisfy the separate training requirement. Then do University of Scouting for supplemental training, since that is council level?

University of Scouting is typically sessions of about an hour on a topic. However, sometimes specific training is offered during U of S, normally taking more than one session to complete. So taking D61 District Committee Training Workshop during a U of Scouting could count as supplemental if not counting U of Scouting as continuing education.

2020-01-12 = Thank you, @Bill_W, for the current information. D61 has been discontinued as an in-person class and replaced with online modules as of Aug 2019.

District Committee Training

D61 District Committee Training Workshop course has been retired and replaced by online training.

District Committee Basic Training (NEW – Aug 2019)

District Committee Training has been taught the same way for many years with a very dated course. Today we are happy to announce that by leveraging the BSA Learn Center we are providing the district committee a learning environment that provides them the content they need when the need it while leveraging professional training for consistency in district training. This new learning replaces the District Committee Workshop and provide learning plans aligned with the various district committee positions and functions.

Position trained status (D61, D62, D75) will be provided for those who complete their training. Position training includes:

• District Committee Chair
  • District Committee Vice Chair
  • Membership Chair
  • Fund Development
  • Training Chair
  • Member at Large
  • Activities and Civil Service Chair
  • Nominating Chair
  • Program Chair
  • Camping and Outdoor Chair
  • Advancement Chair

The online training supersedes the District Committee Workshop – please discontinue use of the District Committee Workshop.

Source: https://www.scouting.org/training/adult/ (as of 1/11/2020)

1 Like

Yes these are what I talking about . My question is what counts as supplemental or advanced training.

GUIDE TO LEADER TRAINING

For Council Training Committees, District Training Committees, and Council Staff, 721-920, 2018 Printing, web version, 59 pages including covers

… There is no such thing as “one and done!” in Scout leader training. Even when one is considered “trained” for his or her position, there are always other opportunities for learning.

The four levels of the training continuum that make up the graded approach are joining, basic, supplemental, and advanced. Each level is designed for a specific purpose. The joining level is required of all registered leaders; the basic is role-based training; and the supplemental and advanced are more focused on advanced skills and leadership. …

SUPPLEMENTAL

Supplemental training includes a variety of courses offered on a district, council, area, regional, or national basis. Courses are designed to give additional information on targeted areas of the program through additional knowledge of Scouting in general, additional skills and roles knowledge, and/or beginning or advanced leadership skills. Some of the information presented in basic training is treated in greater depth in supplemental training courses. Some courses are held on a regular basis to cultivate our culture of continuous learning. Supplemental training is also offered in conferences at BSA national training centers. Roundtables, BALOO, Safe Swim Defense, and National Camp School are examples of supplemental training. A supplemental course might teach a specific Scouting skill or idea, enhance leadership skills, or prepare someone to teach others. Supplemental training is intended to enrich the leader’s experience.

Examples of some of the many supplemental courses held on a regular basis include the following:

• CUBCAST/SCOUTCAST.
  • TRAIN-THE-TRAINER COURSES
    • FUNDAMENTALS OF TRAINING
    • TRAINER’S EDGE
    • THE STRATEGIC TRAINING PLAN
  • BASIC ADULT LEADER OUTDOOR ORIENTATION (BALOO)
  • CUB SCOUT LEADER POW WOW
    • Pow Wow may be combined with a University of Scouting event
  • UNIVERSITY OF SCOUTING
  • ROUNDTABLES
  • NATIONAL CONFERENCES

ADVANCED
Leaders desiring a deeper understanding of the program or seeking additional leadership development will find advanced training highly rewarding. Successful completion of basic training is usually a prerequisite for advanced training. These training courses should supplement the knowledge and skills learned in the other levels and in general are intended for leaders who are supporting not only units but also potentially the district, council, area, regional, and national levels of the Boy Scouts of America.

Examples of some of the most common advanced courses in the BSA include Wood Badge, Leadership Challenge, Kodiak Challenge, Powder Horn, and Seabadge

Council Range Master courses

I would classify these courses as “supplemental training”.

Powder Horn

Scouts BSA and Venturing
Power Horn Course Calendar was last updated for 2018 - I do not know if there is still a national calendar.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!!

@Bill_W

Thanks! I didn’t think to look there. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.