Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Advancement- Can MBC modify requirements during covid

I have been using the link below to guide advancement requirements. Is this the most current?

specifically this statement Q/A from the above link:
Q: Can merit badge requirements be adapted since some elements can’t be completed as stated right now?
The published guidelines for the methodology of the merit badge program and the role of the merit badge counselor is found in the Guide to Advancement, Section 7.0.0.0. It is important to remember that leaders and merit badge counselors must not make additions or deletions to requirements. The Scout is expected to meet the requirements as stated; however, in some cases, virtual “visits” may fulfill the intent of a requirement. When the requirement’s intent cannot be reached virtually, the requirements cannot be completed, and the Scout must wait to complete that badge/requirement. Merit badge counselors signing off on requirements must determine to the best of their ability if the Scout has demonstrated the intended outcome. All existing youth protection policies and digital safety guidelines must be followed.

I have been recently advised of the following from a fellow scouter.
Nationals guidance says that merit badge counselors have the ability to make a judgement whether the event is in the spirt of the merit badge or not. In other words, they are leaving that judgement up to us.”
Has there been another statement out from national that adds in the above quote and where is it published? I just want to make sure I am keeping up with advancement requirements.
thanks in advance!

That’s the latest.
The BSA Covid Resource page is here:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.