as pack we are thinking about suspending large group gatherings if schools close there doors what are your packs doing?
Our pack hasn’t yet discussed it, but I think we’d look for guidance from our council. So far there’s been no guidance on that yet.
Has your council communicated that they think it’s their responsibility? Does your council tell you when to cancel events for icy roads or extreme heat?
This isn’t exactly like icy roads. And yes, the council has communicated several times about the outbreak, including cancelling a scheduled session of a merit badge university. So, yes, it is appropriate to ask the council for guidance. That’s why they’re there.
In general, our unit follows our school district’s decisions on snow days/off days. If the schools are closed, our events are cancelled.
I think if you are waiting for guidance from council you will be disappointed. Determining when to meet isn’t really their responsibility and most councils simply aren’t going to go there.
The scouts are almost all enrolled in school, and for better or worse, parents will take their cues from the school districts. Whether you agree with the decisions of the school districts or not, the parents in your pack are listening to those “experts.”
If the council is willing to give guidance, then sure, listen to them. You are fortunate. Corporate BSA is notorious for leaving the difficult decisions up to the units.
You’re right. It’s not icy roads. But I still wonder if the councils are prepared and willing to make that decision for us when they never have before. Seeking guidance is fine, but don’t be disappointed in the response you get.
I apologize for coming off as confrontational. Those were real questions but worded hastily while walking.
Let me edit my earlier comment
We have our pack leader/parent meeting this evening. I expect that we will follow what ever the school district decides to do. In general, if school is not in session on any given day, we do not meet.
It looks like my council is being more proactive than others I guess. We just got the following message from them that all in-person meetings and activities are suspended. https://www.mayflowerbsa.org/covid-19/
We’re putting our Blue & Gold banquet, scheduled for the 28th, on hold.
Our chartered org has stated that we are not allowed to use their facilities until April. Our B&G was scheduled for Saturday. The bigger question for our unit at the moment is whether a den could meet for a meeting elsewhere (like a local park). It’s not clear who has jurisdiction, council or chartered org. Our COR is away in the Caribbean on a Scout Jamboree organizational trip, so he is out of touch.
Since the Charter Org owns the unit, if it says you must suspend operations, then that is what you must do, even if the Council says you may continue to meet. Similarly, if you Council or BSA National mandates units suspend operation, then you must do so, even if your Charter Org would permit you to meet.
Agreed. But the chartered org does not fully understand their responsibility. They have only said we are not allowed to meet in the building. They have said that we may meet in someone’s home provided that 2 deep leadership is satisfied AND that each adult member of the household has passed the parish background check. Which doesn’t really cover if a den wanted to meet in a park or wanted to go on a hike or do some other type of off-site activity
If neither your Chartered Org nor your Council has told you that your unit must suspend activities, then it is up to the Unit Committee to make the decision. As someone said earlier today, this is no different than a unit deciding if weather conditions warrant cancellation of an event.
You best know what your chartering org likely means. That said, personally, I would be inclined to interpret this instruction (if it came from our charter) to indicate they are OK with you meeting “in another venue”, so long as the adults in the venue are approved adults. I don’t know how your charter manages outings (i.e. locations where you can’t control whether bystanders are “approved” adults). To me, it seems reasonable that if going to the park is OK as a unit outing in a general sense, so long as the adults accompanying the unit are “approved” and comply with the BSA requirements for adequate supervision (2-deep, etc), then I wouldn’t see why a park would be an unacceptable venue. I don’t know how tight a rein your charter maintains regarding unit activities in a general sense. Some require more direct approval than others for activities.
We have cancelled our Pack Night for March. We are doing a virtual talent show on our Facebook. We are leaving it up to our Dens if they want to continue meeting but we are encouraging meeting outside. When the schools close which looks like will be very soon we will cancel all meetings. Woodbridge Edison area
We’re in Metro Detroit, chartered by a Catholic Parish. We’re cancelling all events until April 5th in alignment with the school closures announced by Gov. Whitmer and the Archdiocese of Detroit.