Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Any Packs considering Suspending activities do to the Virus?

Our Council suspended things until April 1st. Since we are sponsored by the school PTO and meet at the school, which is closed until March 31st, we won’t be meeting until then at least. After that, we’ll go from there. So far our county doesn’t have any cases and we’re doing what we can to help keep it that way.

2 Likes

I just canceled of Troop meetings until the week of April 20 when schools in our county are scheduled to reopen. We have a Winter Campout at the end of March using a small cabin at the scout camp we attend which will most likely be postponed or canceled as well. The leader who set the campout would like to do something. I was thinking bout doing the Historical Tour our village offers and invite the Webelos and have the scouts invite a friend. Thoughts?
Thank you all in advance. Stay safe.
John

2 Likes

I don’t know what the situation is like in your area, but our local school district just sent out a message that parents who were having gatherings of students were undermining the quarantine effects of the school closure. It’s not my area of expertise, but I’d be hesitant, personally, to do anything in person.

Do families in your area generally have reliable internet service? You might be able to run some sort of online training event (e.g. map reading) that could be used as a combination teaching and promotional tool. For example, have some of the senior scouts come up with a hike in your area, then walk the scouts through planning it using trail maps online. Plan to hold the hike the weekend after the schools are reopened.

2 Likes

Check with your Chartered organization and the Council for information. I am in VA and our council just cancelled or postponed all activities till April 3rd. Additionally, the church that we meet at is closed through the end of March, which caused us to cancel Troop and Pack meetings. Some packs cancel if the schools are closed, which they are here in VA.

1 Like

Here in Circle 10, Dallas. All Council and District events and gatherings have been canceled/postponed, camps are closed as well. Units are strongly being urged to cancel meetings, gatherings, events, etc. Most Packs and Troops in our District have already suspended meetings and gatherings.

1 Like

Recent posting from CDC regarding gatherings:

Although the headline says “mass gatherings” it also has guidance on gatherings > 50 people and smaller.

1 Like

As a Pack, we discussed suspending events and meetings and decided to go the same route as the schools. It ends up that most of the places that our Dens meet (Elementary School, Fire Station) are canceled all outside activities as well. Most of us are sending out “homework” emails, things the Scouts can work on at home while their schools are closed.

1 Like

Our Council has issued a stock statement, similar to ones that other businesses have put out, but leave the decision to the Pack and their chartering organization. We are chartered by a church that is affiliated with a school so we are taking our lead from the school closures. We have had to postpone our end of the year awards event.

1 Like

We just decided to follow council guidance and shut down through Apr 5. We’ll lose two meetings minimum.

1 Like

We are in Austin, Texas. We decided to cancel in-person meetings until the first Monday of April. We will reassess then. We also canceled the monthly campout.

I’m SM of a girl troop with 46 girls and ASM with my son’s troop with about 100 boys. I talked with SMs of other troops nearby (there are 5 close to us, all large) and all units are canceling until the first week of April.

The girl troop and the boy troop are meeting tonight (separately) with a video conferencing app to have a makeshift PLC to determine if any virtual activities can happen in the meantime, also testing the app they are using. We’ll see how it works… It seems easier to lose 3 meetings but I feel like we have an obligation to do what we can especially when the kids are asking for options. They are more comfortable with tech than I am.

1 Like

Our country has asked us to practice social distancing. For me, “do your best” means to stay home and not interact with those outside your immediate household. This is an excellent time to demonstrate Duty to God and Country by not putting others at risk and help flatten curve.

Many events and meetings can be done virtually.

1 Like

I am the Scoutmaster of a Female BSA Troop. In San Diego, CA. We are trying having out weekly meetings virtual using either zoom or WebEx to allow all to join. This week are will try out how it goes since the scouts are working on the Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge that can each present via the Zoom/WebEx app.
We are looking into setting up survey games to get the Scout to interact via the internet.

2 Likes

Let’s not be condescending with one another. It’s not warranted nor is it wanted.

I think we should all be safe and practice social distancing for the time being since the virus is HIGHLY contagious. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

Grand Canyon Council is recommending units cancel events while schools are out of session, also all Council and District events, camps and training are suspended until May 31st. Also, leadership meetings are to be held via WebEx, Zoom, Hangouts or other equivalent technology.

1 Like

I am part of a committee that made the decision to halt ALL in person Scouting activities. You can read our guidance to ALL units here https://www.ctyankee.org/council-news/march-16-covid-19-update/. Feel free to repurpose as you see fit. Some of you may disagree with our Council’s position. I acknowledge that and respectfully request that criticism be held until we can hold a complete after action meeting when the situation has stabilized. If you’re wondering, I have an emergency management background and career. I would rather be on the side of having responded too agressively than risk the health of any of our youth or adults.

1 Like

@MatthewReed1 When was that letter written? It looks like the type of advice that was being given last week. This situation is deteriorating very rapidly. Just because some areas may have very few reported cases (or even none) doesn’t many there aren’t substantially more. Leaving it up to individual families to decide is not a good idea if we don’t want to end up like Italy. The only way to slow this down and not overwhelm our healthcare system is social distancing. Continuing to meet when the schools are closed is counterproductive to the efforts to slow the spread of the virus.

3 Likes

I think that letter was pretty confrontational, and I would be seriously POed to receive something like that from my local council. It reeks of “we don’t think this is serious”, which is inexcusable, IMHO.

1 Like

San Diego-Imperial Council has ordered everything to shutdown for March. I know of a few units that are having small leader meetings and one is taking a long planned canoe trip.

The important part is to make sure the background work doesn’t stop. It is critical that the leadership continue to communicate, whether via email, text, phone or meeting software. You can get limited use Zoom, GoToMeeting, WebEx, Zoom and a bunch of others to hold meetings remotely. We are going to have one of our Council meetings using GoToMeeting webinar software so we don’t loose momentum.

I would also encourage leaders to use this time to catch up on their training. All direct leader recommended training except BALOO and IOLS can be taken online. And you don’t have to take all of it at once. A module a day gets the job done in a couple of weeks.

4 Likes

A lot of our units have been circulating this type of idea in Rancho Our-name-is-too-long-for-the-patch District in north county SDIC, @RobertWright3. Merit badge counseling by GoToMeeting/Google Duo are pretty good for many MBs. Put it on speaker and have a parent sit at the table with the scout, and you can get a lot covered.

I give a lot of credit to our county’s public health officer. She has been out in front of things from an early stage. I think that her leadership on the professional side has made it a lot easier for council and the various units to make informed decisions and explain them to our youth and adults.

2 Likes

I totally agree. It is odd, especially with the current situation, that the letter was dated. His assertions that the National BSA and council are not “governing agencies for your program” is false. Especially when it comes to health and safety, council and national DO govern actives, meeting criteria, etc. To say otherwise is not true.

3 Likes