Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

AOL Scouting Adventure Advancement #4 - Practicing the patrol method

Hello, I’m a Den Leader for AOL in California and am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to get my scouts through the practicing the patrol method portion of their Scouting Adventure Advancements. I’ve looked online for tips and/or advice but wasn’t able to find anything related to this topic. Due to covid restrictions I don’t see a plausible way in which my cubs will be able to complete this portion. Please advise. Thank you.

BSA COVID-19 FAQ:

Q: Can the Arrow of Light (fifth-grade dens) requirements fulfill the requirement to visit a troop or attend a troop outing to function as a patrol?

Yes. Two things to keep in mind, the standard of completion for Cub Scout advancement is “Do Your Best,” so given the circumstances, we want to look at the purpose behind the requirements. Remember that doing nothing is never doing your best.

Dens can visit a virtual troop meeting to see the patrol method and youth leadership in action. Since the den cannot attend a troop campout or outing, the idea is for the den to function as a patrol while attending the virtual troop meeting. During this time, a virtual den meeting where the den functions as a patrol can be done. Elect a patrol leader, pick a patrol name, play a virtual game together as a patrol. Plenty of opportunities to Do Your Best to meet the intention of the requirement. Remember to maintain all youth protection standards online.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.