Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Art Merit Badge requirement 4 question,

Hello. I hope someone can answer to my (hopefully quick) question.

The art merit badge requirement 4 says as follows.

Render a subject of your choice in FOUR of these ways:

1. Pen and ink,
  2. Watercolors,
  3. Pencil,
  4. Pastels,
  5. Oil paints,
  6. Tempera,
  7. Acrylics,
  8. Charcoal
  9. Computer drawing or painting

Does this mean that the scout renders one subject (say… a cup, a flower, one single subject) in four different ways, or can the scout uses four of the methods listed for different subjects of his or her choice? (Like drawing a hand with a pencil, draw scenery on camvas with acrylic paint, draw books with charcoal, etc.)?

Thank you.

Mika Watanabe
Troop 402, ASM

I’m not an Art MBC, but I’ve always understood the intent was to show how the differences in rendering medium can impact the representation of the same subject. It seems like that would be defeated by having different subjects. That said, I’d be curious to see how actual Art MBCs interpret the requirement.

1 Like

Thank you. English is not a native language (my native tongue is Japanese) and this article, of a, an, and the, concept is always hard for me to grasp and does not come naturally. If it says, “the” subject of your choice, then I can definitely see that the scout must choose ONE subject to draw in the four different ways, but when you say “a” subject, I am just wondering what it implies or means. (And this subtle difference is hard for me to know.)

Thank you!!!

Mika

1 Like

No worries. I wouldn’t have been able to tell it wasn’t if you hadn’t said anything. My Japanese, on the other hand, is marginal at best, for all that I’m motivated to improve. Keeping the “in group” “out group” straight occasionally gets me in trouble. I understand it conceptually, but I don’t have it quite internalized yet. My written Japanese has degraded almost entirely since I last had time to study regularly.

My wife was born in Tokyo, and my in-laws still live there. Sadly, neither of my kids is really motivated to learn. I’m working toward becoming fluent enough to earn (and maintain) the Intepreter strip. Nihongo wa sukoshi dake dekimasu kara, sore o benkyou shimasho, ne? :^)

That is a perfect Japanese! Language is always interesting, fun, yet difficult to learn, and I am impressed by your correct grammar and expression!