Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

ASM Troop 96. Lone Scout

During Covid 19 quarantine, could the Lone Scout Protocol be used.
It was designed for rural individuals who did not have access to a troop.
However the same situation applies here, each scout is isolated. He or she could execute what needed to be done with parental supervision and verified virtually that way advancement could continue.
Any Comments

1 Like

I see no reason for it - my troop has already had virtual troop meetings, a PLC, a SMC, a BOR - We have scouts working on MBs

3 Likes

Yes we also but there is camping, cooking and other requirements for advancement that cannot be done virtually

1 Like

Also it’s another tool that can be used if virtual access is limited

1 Like

BSA COVID-19 FAQs:

Advancement — Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts
Q: May merit badge requirements or rank requirements be modified?

No. All requirements must be completed as written. If meetings or activities are canceled or limited, youth should continue to work on requirements as far as possible. By employing common sense and creative solutions, many requirements–even Scoutmaster conferences–can be fulfilled through videoconferencing or telephone calls.

So if a requirement needs to be done with the troop or patrol (for example: SC/FC #1a.), then I think that particular requirement has to wait until the stay at home orders are lifted. However, many of the requirements can be done at home or with the Scout’s family.

2 Likes

Lone Scouting Challenge (my opinion)

They can if the council approves. The main challenges are:

• Scoubook, Unit Commissioners, and most districts are setup to support units, not individuals
  • Currently I suspect in most councils, Lone Scout Plans are supported by a limited number of professional (e.g. District Executive and Council Registrar) who would not be able to handle a huge increase in their workload.

Lone Scout Friend and Counselor Guidebook

511-420, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, 2019 Printing, guidebook extract

Youth in the following or similar circumstances may find Lone Scouting is the best option.
• Home-schooled where parents do not want them in a youth group
• U.S. citizens living abroad
• Exchange students away from the United States
• Disability or communicable illness that prevents meeting attendance
• Rural communities far from a unit
• Conflicts with a job, night school, or boarding school
• Families who frequently travel or live on a boat, etc.
• Living arrangements with parents in different communities
• Environments where getting to meetings may put the Scout in danger

Seems like the lone scout route could work. It should at least be attempted

Some councils have stated requests to convert to Lone Scouts will not be approved for the purposes of effecting advancement requirements during COVID-19.

2 Likes

Adding on to what @edavignon said: in order to use the Lone Scout advancement procedures, the Scout would need to be registered as a Lone Scout and the council would need to approve that registration. In addition, someone (usually a parent / guardian) would need to be registered as a Lone Scout friend and counselor.

Seems counterproductive to the end goals

1 Like

Not really. All Lone Scout advancement must be approved by someone on Council staff. If Scouts were converted to Lone Scouts during this time, it would move the work load from volunteers in units to a very small number of Council staff members. Most councils can’t absorb this additional work.

1 Like

Like the state of mi saying online schooling does not count. The rule would have to be modified to adjust to conditions. Instead of council member each troop could designate adults or scoutmasters to assist when scout achieve goal a review and sign off not unlike merit badge counselors. This modification would
Assist all but especially ones not up on tech meeting.

If someone from the troop is signing off on advancement, then there is no need to designate the Scout a Lone Scout.

2 Likes

Scoutmasters already have the ability to authorize who may test and pass Scouts on rank requirements. If Scoutmasters want to grant to parents some limited ability to sign off on certain things, they can. For example, it might make sense to have parents work with their Scout on the fitness rank requirements. The Scoutmaster could decide to authorize parents to sign off on these particular rank requirements. Or the Scoutmaster could designate someone that a Scout needs to work with to get it signed off (perhaps the Scout takes a picture of their fitness tracking sheet and texts / e-mails it to a designated leader while copying a parent or other registered adult leader).

2 Likes

There are advancements the require group activities. My theory is if treat as if it was a lone scout activity progress would continue

The BSA says:

All requirements must be completed as written. If meetings or activities are canceled or limited, youth should continue to work on requirements as far as possible. By employing common sense and creative solutions, many requirements–even Scoutmaster conferences–can be fulfilled through videoconferencing or telephone calls. BSA COVID-19 FAQ: Advancement — Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts

You can’t use Lone Scout advancement procedures unless they are registered as Lone Scouts.

This whole situation is temporary. The restrictions on in person meetings and activities will be lifted at some point. Until then, Scouts should work on what they can at home. There is a lot that they can do at home on merit badges and rank advancements. Right now is a perfect time to work on the Family Life merit badge and some others.

1 Like

Many of us are still in denial. This whole thing may be over next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m an RN, this definitely will not be over next week nor probably next month. That said scouts should be able to do camping things with a family member if that will let them fulfill requirements like pitch a tent, choose a campsite. Cook meals same as a registered lone scout would do . Have his/ her troop leaders sign it off since pretty much all camping is shut down for groups. No need to change registration. Do it the same way a lone scout would but don’t go through the hassle of changing registration etc. Gumby patrol, be flexible

1 Like

Thanks that’s what I been trying to say.

Maybe, but a lot of those items say “on a campout with your patrol or troop”.

Camping with your parents and camping with your patrol are very different, so, I can’t say I can support the suggested change.

1 Like