Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Athletics MB Req 6a

Hello,

I’m looking for clarification on exactly what is required for Athletics MB Requirement 6(a). The requirement states: “Prepare plans for conducting a sports meet or field day that includes 10 activities, at least five of which must come from the groups mentioned in requirement 5. Outline the duties of each official needed and list the equipment the meet will require.”

Specifically, it’s not clear to me whether or not the scout has to actually do the sports meet or field day that they plan, or just simply plan it. I initially assumed that the requirement would include both planning and executing, but now I’m not sure.

I believe that the wording of merit badge requirements is very specific in what the scout is required to do. For example, the difference between “discuss” and “show” in many requirements. I also think there is precedent in other merit badges for there being a difference between “planning” and “doing.” For example, Exploration requirement 7 states: “Prepare for an expedition.” But it takes requirement 8 (“Go on an expedition.”) to actually do the prepared expedition. Similarly, Game Design requirement 5 states: “Design a new game.” The sub-requirements detail the design process, but nowhere does it require the designed game to actually be created.

So based on my experience with many other merit badges, I’m now thinking that Athletics requirement 6(a) requires a paper plan only and does not require the scout to actually conduct the planned event. I believe that if the requirement also required the scout to conduct the planned event, there would be specific wording to indicate that. Nowhere in the requirement does it say anything like “and run the event.”

Are there any other Athletics MB Counselors here? What have you required of the scout for requirement 6(a)? If you have required the scout to actually conduct the planned event, can you provide supporting information on why you interpreted “prepare” as “prepare and do?”

Thank you!

6a reads “Prepare plans for conducting a sports meet or field day that includes 10 activities, at least five of which must come from the groups mentioned in requirement 5. Outline the duties of each official needed and list the equipment the meet will require.”

As with all ScoutsBSA advancement requirements, the Scout does what it says to do, no more, no less, to pass the requirement. So in this case, the meet does not have to take place to satisfy requirement 6a.

I hope this helps.

5 Likes

Generally the idea is to make a scout aware of what goes into such a thing. Not to turn the scout into a project planner.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.