BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

ATV Question

How irregular is the ATV course? Does the camp have a satellite-photo-based map with distance ruler on it on their website that can be used to determine the distance?

Do you have a first class or higher ranked Scout you can ask to do it?
I have started a discussion about resources for determining distance at:

This was at a Summer Camp that is over 300 miles away. So no I don’t think it would work to have a scout figure it out. I am not sure if even an in-council scout would be able to do it since summer camp is now done for the year. I agree with a previous poster, I think it is unlikely most camps will respond to that request. Especially since Summer Camp has basically wrapped up for many areas. Although I get why they do miles for this award I really wish they would do hours like the rest, at least you can estimate more easily there. I wasn’t even able to see the ATV course so I can’t even do a rough estimate either. I also have a scout that did the horsemanship merit badge and trail-rides. I again didn’t go along so have no idea how far they went. I wonder how scouts are supposed to even try to earn this NOA award?

Which Camp? Location? and Council?

I suspect someone has already run the in course in a vehicle that has an odometer in it, noting the start and stop mile count, to measure the distance.

If that information is not available, a map of the course may allow a Scout, me or you, to determine the estimated length of the course. Were your Scouts given a information packet with a map of ATV course on it and/or course length information in it?

Is there a camp map online with the ATV course on it. If so, it might be possible to use that map to estimate the distance of the course using information available online. It might even have the course length.

The Scouting volunteers and staff that plan improvements to the camps, who may have a map or course length, normally do not live at the camps year-round. So the camp closing may not be a limiting factor in getting the information.

The problem is that they camp where it was done is in Colorado and we are in Texas.

I do not see that as a problem.
It would help if you would identify the camp they were at.
There might be someone from Colorado on this forum that could help.

Scouts completing the ATV safety course receive a completion card from the ATV Safety Institute. When the BSA ATV safety program was launched in 2013 there was also a temporary patch:

I suspect most BSA camp ATV trails/courses are short in length. For example, one-half mile. The ATV trek for older youth at Summit is apparently 60 miles long. The National Outdoor Riding Award requires riding 200 miles, completing certain merit badges, and additional requirements.

Reply moved to new topic: 2019-07-30

Thanks for the suggestion. I have contacted Polaris since it is their program to see if they have any information.

Have you tried contacting the council in charge of the camp? There is usually someone (District Executive perhaps) who might know or be able to give an estimate.

I would not expect Polaris (a BSA partner) to know the length of the course. They are more likely to know the BSA camps they have sold or donated ATVs to. (I did not see a camp in Colorado listed in their online list.)

Third time: What is the name of the BSA camp in Colorado with the new ATV course?

The Camp is Camp Alexander.

You can send an email to the Camp Ranger by going to the Council Staff web page here:

“Camp Alexander Ranger” is listed under Support Staff, with a name and phone number, and an email link.

1 Like

@JeanannGoss

Try e-mailing or calling:

Camp Alexander Ranger – Thomas Hopkins - 719-219-2929
Program Director – David Pope - 253-283-8402
Front Desk Customer Service – Catherine Walsh - 719-634-1584

Pikes Peak Council Staff

Thanks. I will try to get in touch with them.

Hi, @JeanannGoss,

It looks like they may have some information about an ATV training course, but it suggests that the trail ride is only a 1/2 mile.

The Scouts might have done shorter training rides.

Camp Alexander is located in the beautiful Elevenmile Canyon in the Pike National Forest approximately 45 miles west of Colorado Springs, and two miles south of Lake George, in Park County, Colorado. Camp Alexander is between 8200 and 8600 feet elevation.

Camp Phone # 719-748-3254.

Directions to Camp:

From Colorado Springs, follow Highway 24 west to the town of Lake George. Entering the town of Lake George, take the first left onto County Road 96. A good landmark for this turn is Starky’s General Store. Turn South just before the store. (If you cross the river on Highway 24 West, you have gone too far!)

Follow County Road 96 (about 1 mile) to the 11-Mile Canyon Entrance. Turn right into 11-Mile Canyon and proceed to the Forest Ranger Station. Tell the gate attendant that you are heading to Camp Alexander, as entry fee is free.

Follow 11-Mile Canyon past Riverside Campground about 2 miles (watch for oncoming traffic!). Look for the Camp Entrance on the left. Follow the road to the parking lot where a staff guide will greet you and take you to your campsite.

– per Camp Alexander web page

USFS Topographic Map Snap Shot

The topo map shows the Blue Mountain trail running SE from the camp, however the satellite photo shows a new road running SSW from the camp near the lake. . We will have to see what the council has.

They did, they rode every day during the class.

Do you see anything for Camp Cedars in Nebraska? I have checked their website and can not find the trail they used on any of their maps for ATV or for their trail rides. I have emailed the camp director, haven’t heard back yet.

Late, but a phone with strava or endomondo will Sat nav ur ride and give distance.

1 Like

I emailed the Ranger for our Camp and he has responded and is trying to get an approximate distance for me. It isn’t more than 5 miles at most I don’t think.

1 Like