Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Baloo Equivalency and National Camp School?

We are a small pack and I have been volunteered(or voluntold) into the cub master position. Our Baloo trained adults will be leaving the pack when Webelos crossover. I am a former eagle, spent years on camp staff (both cub and scout) and was a NCS trained Aquatics Director. My question is given limited time and bandwidth is there no equivalency which would exempt one from needing this…

1 Like

A cub master I know working on the work group to rewrite the national camp school docs still has to do BALOO. does that answer it?

2 Likes

There is no such thing as a Former Eagle. Once and Eagle always an Eagle!!

2 Likes

The BALOO requirement of at least one leader is a bright line requirement for your pack to do overnighters. I am also an Eagle and OA. Did my BALOO this last October.

3 Likes

When I took BALOO in 2006 (actually, the course was new and I ran one to get credit for having taken it), I was already an Eagle Scout with five palms, I had served two summers on Boy Scout resident camp staff, I had already been a course director for Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills twice, and staffed it four other times, I was a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow, I had staffed two Wood Badge courses and was about to staff my third a few weeks later, I had staffed National Youth Leadership Training as an adult and taken the Junior Leader Training Conference as a youth, I had taken a week-long course at the Philmot Training Center, I had been my OA lodge’s contingent leader for the National Order of the Arrow Conference, and I had been first assistant Scoutmaster of a council–organized troop attending a National Scout Jamboree…

… and I didn’t try to get a waiver for BALOO, but I knew one wasn’t available.

You can never have too much training.

2 Likes

I was in a similar spot. AOL, Eagle, Vigil, 2 Jamborees (1 participant, 1 Staff), 4 years of camp staff, JLT, SM trained, IOLS, and 2 NOACs. I still did BALOO. I would like to think I learned something. It benefits from experienced participants. I also like to learn what others have learned, even if I don’t personally learn anything new. Being a life long learner is fun, at least for me. I can now have Webelos join our troop for a campout and not worry about one of their leaders having BALOO. I will do anything I can to help grow my troop, I wouldn’t want to turn down some Webelos from joining us just for not taking a pesky training that only took about 24 hours if I recall.

2 Likes

I would without a doubt say that if one is resistant to a training course especially if fun could be had then I question the desire to be an adult leader. Heck the scouting movement is and should be about learning, having fun and stepping out of the box of comfort.

6 Likes

You might look around to see if you can get this and others at the same time. My district now offers BALOO, OWL, and SM training through a weekend event. One day I may get my BALOO

1 Like

Thanks All,
I appreciate the info. Just trying to efficiently manage time.
Yours In Scouting,
Sal

1 Like

Ha, you got me… I always point that out too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.