BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

BALOO Training Proof

Mark. Are you able to say this while wearing a National level or Council level hat? (i.e. do you have a council or national level position that you are a quotable resource if I bring this up at roundtable or with the professional staff at council?)

I only wear a assistant scoutmaster and assistant cubmaster “hat.” So the hazardous weather and IOLS requirement is what we are being told from our council at roundtable. I assumed it was dictated from National level because I did not think council would shoot themselves in the foot figuratively with such draconian measures. There are patrols and den that are panicking over getting their all their direct contact leader into an IOLS courses or BALOO courses respectively before then end of the year in my district.

In order to wear the “Trained” patch, an adult leader needs to be:

1. Current on YPT training.
  2. Complete the position-specific training for the registered position.
  3. Hazardous Weather training is now considered part of the position-specific training for direct contact leaders (effective as of April 30, 2018). Direct contact leaders are defined in the Hazardous Weather Training requirement FAQs (page 2).
  4. IOLS is part of the position specific training for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters.

BALOO is not part of position-specific training. However, Cub Scout packs who want to have a pack overnight campout are required to have at least one adult who has completed BALOO training present at the pack overnighter.

Need to know what are the requirements to be trained for your unit leadership role? This sheet explains the training requirements for all unit-level leaders:

https://www.scouting.org/training/adult/

Being able to wear the “Trained” patch and registration requirements are two different things. Some councils do have more stringent registration requirements (such as requiring adult leaders to take YPT every year instead of every other year).

1 Like

Mark,

It is my understanding that councils can impose more but not less stringent requirements on registration. Baltimore Area Council requires that Scouters hold a current YPT certification that will not expire during the next charter year. That means if you completed YPT on Decmeber 30, 2018, you need to take it again before the end of 2019, in order to recharter for 2020, because there is a risk that you will be registered without current YPT for one day (December 31, 2020) during 2020.

If a council wants all direct contact Cub Scout leaders to be certified in BALOO, the council can do that.

As statement above “registration requirements” and “basic position-specific leader training requirements” are different.

Comment: In most councils I would not expect BALOO (or IOLS) to be required for re-chartering. If I remember correctly there is a least one council that had success with improving their Scouting programs by requiring basic position-specific leader training instead of just encouraging this training. Check with your unit commissioner, district membership committee or district executive if you are not sure if your council is pilot testing requiring basic position-specific leader training.

Registration Requirements

There are two parts to registration training:

1. Application reading requirements
  • Abide by the
    • Scout Oath,
    • Scout Law, and
    • Scouter Code of Conduct
  • Subscribe to the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle
  1. Joining Requirements Youth protection training
  • Complete Youth Protection training (YPT) before the application is processed and renew training as required by going to my.Scouting.org and creating an account

Basic Position-specific Leader Training

A “Trained” emblems only shows a person has completed basic position-specific leader training. Leaders are encourage to complete the requirements for training awards.

Training Awards for Adult Leaders in Packs

The training awards and keys are designed to recognize unit Scouters for tenure, training, and performance in their leadership roles. Progress record forms for these awards can be found at the links below.

Health and Safety Training

This training (for example BALOO) is activity based. BALOO is a program-wide requirement. BSA camps, bases, and certain activities (local through national) may have additional required health and safety training.

Related Discussion

That’s correct. Adult training requirements are not the same as youth advancement requirements. For adult leaders, National sets the minimum training requirements.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.