BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Becoming a Lone Scout Rules and assistance

August 1, 2019

Hello. First, we are a Scouting Family. Son is a life Scout, Oldest daughter is a Discover Venture Scout and I have had numerous positions in Scouting plus Woodbadge and Powder Horn training.

My question is regarding my youngest daughter. She joined BSA in Feb 2019. Was with the local Female Troop. One of three in the state of Vermont. Because of my job and her other commitments she can’t attend the Monday night meetings. There is also a problem between our family and the “acting” SM. The “Actual” SM is the COR.

The acting SM says that my daughter can’t become a Lone Scout because there is a female Troop locally. My question is if my daughter can’t attend the meetings can she become a Lone Scout. It is not like she can join another female Troop. The closest is 50+ miles away. Though I will say that both the other two Female Troops have said that my daughter can camp with them at the local Scout Camps.

My son’s Troop meets on Wednesdays. His SM says that he would be willing to be her SM and all the other ASM’s have said that they are more than willing to help assist her anyway needed/allowed.

I am trying to start up another Female Troop with my son’s Troop Charter Organization, but I don’t have the required number of Scouts to form a new Troop and I need a female leader over 21. I’ve only been working on this for about a week and a half.

For now I just want my daughter to be able to continue her Scouting Journey that she already began.

I thank all for their time
Yours In Scouting
Paul Tullgren
Three Rivers District
Green Mtn. Council #592
Vermont

Learn some more about the lone scout program option.

contains the current list of qualifying factors on page 4. I have listed the ones in the national Registration Guidebook (July 2019) below.

One simple tactic is to just submit the youth and adult application together to the council service center with a supporting statement as to why you need to register your child as a Lone Scout.

Council Scout Executive (SE) is the one that approves the Lone Scout and the Lone Scout Friend and Counselor applications. Some councils support the lone scout program, others do not, or they strictly limit the number of Lone Cub Scouts and Lone Scouts because it places an extra burden on the District Executive’s workload.

Previous Discussion and Help Articles

Lone Scout Program Requirements

per the * Lone Scout Friend and Counselor Guidebook*, 511-420, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, 2019 Printing, p. 4:

Youth in the following or similar circumstances may find Lone Scouting is the best option.
• Home-schooled where parents do not want them in a youth group
• U.S. citizens living abroad
• Exchange students away from the United States
• Disability or communicable illness that prevents meeting attendance
• Rural communities far from a unit
• Conflicts with a job, night school, or boarding school
• Families who frequently travel or live on a boat, etc.
• Living arrangements with parents in different communities
• Environments where getting to meetings may put the Scout in danger

per BSA Registration Guidebook, July 2019, p. 26:

(Note: The following list appears to be previous qualifications.)

This program is available for Cub Scout–age and Scouts BSA–age youth who do not have access to a pack or troop. Youth who are eligible to become Lone Scouts, with the Scout executive’s approval, include:

• Youth being home-schooled
• Children of American citizens who live abroad
• Exchange students away from the United States for a year or more
• Youth with disabilities that may prevent them from attending regular meetings
• Youth in rural communities who live far from a Scouting unit
• Children of migratory farm workers
• Youth who attend special schools, night schools, or boarding schools
• Youth who have jobs that conflict with meetings Youth whose families frequently travel or whose families live on boats
• Youth who alternate living arrangements with parents who live in different communities
• Youth who are unable to attend unit meetings because of life-threatening communicable diseases
• Youth whose parents believe their child might be in danger of being harmed getting to Scout unit meetings

Youth members must complete a BSA youth application and pay the annual registration fee.

A Lone Scout must have a Lone Scout counselor who is at least 21 years old. Individuals applying to be a Lone Scout counselor must complete an adult application and Youth Protection training, authorize a criminal background check, and pay a registration fee. All Lone Scout counselors receive Scouting magazine as part of their registration fee. The position code for a Lone Cub Scout counselor is 88, and Lone Scout Counselor is position code 96.

A Lone Scout and Lone Scout Counselor may register for a term of one (1) to 12 months, and registration expiration may be at any time. For management purposes, it is recommended that registration for all Lone Scouts and Lone Scout counselors in your council expire in the same month.

With your council’s Scout Executive’s approval, yes she can.

I would have your son’s SM register as your daughter’s Lone Scout Friend and Counselor, position code 96. Requires a paper “multiple position” (no fee) adult application form submitted with your daughters Lone Scout application.

Also include a note about your Lone Scout support plan with the youth and adult applications.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.