BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

BSA ID in profiles is difficult to read

Why is the BSA ID such low-contrast in the Scoutbook profiles? I had a parent trying to complete a transfer application from another unit to ours, and she had a tough time trying to see the IDs to fill out the forms, from her phone. Even sitting at a regular computer, they’re quite light-colored/pale.

Can they be made easier to read? I feel like this information should be readily-available to parents, not (inadvertently?) disguised in this way…

1 Like

There is a story in the backlog to increase the contrast. I have asked to have it prioritized since this should be a very quick change. I do not know if the BSA will accept my request.

1 Like

Thank you. You can let them know this has delayed transferring Scouts. My new parent got the # wrong on one of her apps so I can’t get him into Scoutbook (or put the correct id on the transfer application).

1 Like

What I do as a workaround is copy the BSA Member ID from Scoutbook then paste it as plain text in to another application such as a text editor, word, etc. This allows me to easily read the value.

1 Like

Another thought is that the sending unit can print a roster with BSA ID numbers on it and there you have it.

1 Like

I would recommend getting the BSA ID # from one of the History reports (Cub Scout History Report, Scouts BSA History Report, etc.). It is much easier to read there.

1 Like

That doesn’t work when hand-writing a transfer application.

1 Like

Do parents have access to see those reports? I can’t see them for Scouts not yet in my unit.

1 Like

I assumed @edavignon meant you can paste into a text editor on the device, then read it from the device more easily. I’ve done the same thing a couple of times.

1 Like

Charley, yes, when I need to know the BSA member ID of a Scout, I go into Scoutbook, copy the value then paste it into another application so that I can see it better. From there, if I need to write the number down, I can do so much more easily.

1 Like

Yes, as long as they are part of a unit in Scoutbook. If the former unit already ended their membership, they should be able to add a membership with the new unit, and an Admin can approve the membership to make the reports show again.

1 Like

This would be much easier if it was just legible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, that’s why there is an open story for the developers to fix it. Until a change is released, either good eyes or the workarounds described are your best options.

2 Likes

Just a thought here… while I agree that the contrast for the BSA ID could be better, what prevented that parent from asking the sending unit to provide the BSA ID or a membership card/certificate ? I think if I was the parent involved I would have asked for it.

2 Likes

Generally, @Stephen_Hornak, I’ve noticed that a lot of units (mine included) need to do a better job of parent education about the various processes in the BSA for getting things done. Unfortunately, those efforts are often offset by an absence of interest in the processes. “If I wanted to know how this works, I’d be wearing a khaki shirt like you…”

I tend to agree that I would have asked, or that I would have asked that the parent ask, the previous unit. However, it sounds like the youth may already have been disassociated with the previous unit, and the other unit might not be able to easily provide the info (or may not realize they can).

@CharleyHamilton - I totally get it and understand. It was more of a thinking out loud thing. There may be many unknowns involved in this change of units, but just a suggestion to make the process easier for all involved and another way of obtaining needed info for the transfer. I hope that all made some sort of sense.

1 Like

This isn’t a debate about the problem-solving skills of parents or units. If we needed to resort to extraordinary measures, we could certainly find someone with the previous unit to create a report to email the ID to us, but honestly that’s getting into a ridiculous # of steps when it’s supposed to be instantly accessible in Scoutbook. There are myriad other workarounds too, but it’s 2019 and low contrast text is long since known to cause issues for readers. It doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.

Why not just have the parent add the new membership with your troop in Scoutbook? After a Troop Admin approves the Scout’s membership, the reports are visible again.

@Carolyn_S - so sorry I even tried to help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.