Camping log

The issue with parents losing access to their Scout’s logs is a bug that is being worked on. This was NOT intentional. The testing that was done prior to release showed parents did have access but obviously there are many parents that do not have access.

Please make sure your parents have the Parent/Guardian check box set on the connection to their Scout, even if they are a leader in the unit with other access.

The SUAC is working with the developers to get the access issues fixed as quickly as possible. We will post in the change log as fixes are released.

2 Likes

If rights are ever given to Den Leaders, please ask the developers not to forget Tiger and Lion (I’ve come across settings in the past that get restricted that should be open to all den leaders and wasn’t until I had the regular den leader position added to my registration at the Council Office on top of my Tiger Den Leader or Lion Guide/Den leader registration).

I’m a Scoutmaster in one Troop and ASM in two others…I can only see the activities of the Troop that I am the SM for. Are ASM’s going to be able to input activities for Troops? Also, I can’t see my own activities, will adults be granted access to their own logs?

1 Like

I am redirected to Internet Advancement, but I do not have access. It blocks stating that only the Key 3, delegates, and Troop Advancement Chair have access.

2 Likes

@DavidBuckingham - could go to scoutbook and check your connection to your scout and make sure that there is one as a parent. If there is, click the update on that connection.

Zachary,

The way I speced this, any position with Den Leader, Scoutmater, Crew Advisor, Skipper, etc. will have access. This way all of the various Den Leader, Assistant Den Leaders, etc. will have access.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be rude, but I wanted to let you know that isn’t happening.

edavignon … I am a Bear, soon to be Webelo Den Leader. According to the web page I do not have the “right” scouting role to access internet advancement. So whatever y’all thought was to happen, isn’t. My computer does not do apps and my phone has no storage to download another app. So, I guess either my scoutmaster records my den’s info or my cubs do not receive recognition. Unless, y’all fix this or go back to the way it was.

The BSA is working to give more leaders in the unit access to the activity logs.

As a scoutmaster and a merit badge councilor, I don’t access activity logs. I depend on the scouts to track their own activity, and share it to me as proof when they need it for advancement. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

@JamesWalls - if you would like i can offer a screen share to assist. Please email sjhjr@comcast.net and i can offer an assist.

Are you having difficulty accessing the activity logs as a Scoutmaster? Or are you asking about your process?

I can access them. But several months ago I was told to use Scoutbook OR Internet Advancement, not both–as it may monkey with our records. Not sure if that stance has changed. Regardless, I don’t track my scouts’ logs. They do. Are they supposed to now be tracking them in Scoutbook? In Internet Advancement? Their books?

@JamesWalls - they just need to follow the link from their page, or enter items via the scouting app if they have that on their phones. My son has been able to do both without issue and has already entered a hike and service hours. They will both point to the same location of scoutbook.scouting.org.

@JamesWalls It is up to your unit and your units processes. Different units do things differently. If you want your Scouts to track using their handbooks and / or electronically, you can do so. Some units track activity participation for reasons such as JTE reporting and OE eligibility.

1 Like

Terminology and look and feel are getting in the way. If using Scoutbook as a unit, they should log into Scoutbook and follow the link in their profile. It will take them to the system to log their activities.

The technology may be unimportant, but adds to the confusion. Like reports, this feature is now melted into Internet Advancement. So, they would enter via Scoutbook, but the link would “seamlessly” move them to IA2 to do the recording.

1 Like

This is a total fail. I have four sons. I am Cubmaster for their Pack. I cannot enter hiking for any of my sons. It also says I do not meet Key 3 requirement, when in Scoutbook it lists me as one. The more I try to defend Boy Scouts and promote it, they do stupid stuff like this and raise dues after October. I always read they “involve all partners.” That has yet happened in my 7 years involved so far. Scoutbook was prefect. It had training migrated to it, you could enter advancements, hiking, and cmaping. Now it is left to 3 people insted of involving the family. SMH.

3 Likes

@RichardRoddin When you log in at my.scouting.org (my.Scouting Tools), are you able to access your pack’s Organization Security Manager there?

No. Looking at it, I am still listed as Asssistant Cubmaster. Possibly the change of position wasn’t changed from our Blue and Gold switch. That would help, but parents should still be able to log their own kids camping and hiking which I cannot.

A question on this thread. 1. are we able to get the information back? We have been entering camping, service hours and hiking into the scoutbook
2. When do you think the logs will be back up?