Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Camping merit badge req. 8d

I have a few scouts that are Jewish sabbath observant that cannot cook hot foods on the sabbath while camping. For the camping merit badge requirement 8d it says“ While camping in the outdoors, cook at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner for your patrol from the meals you have planned for requirement 8c. At least one of those meals must be a trail meal requiring the use of a lightweight stove.” I know you can’t add or subtract from the requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fulfill this requirement to accommodate the Jewish sabbath? Is there a way to get an “accommodation” for said requirement? Thanks for the help.

cook on a different day?

5 Likes

That’s what I thought but the first two word of the requirement say “while camping”. Unless they go camping during the week which is highly unlikely due to school that might be a bit difficult.

How would cooking on a different day help if this requirement is supposed to be done while camping?

Can they extend the campout until later in the day on Sunday or hold it on a 3 day weekend?

3 Likes

7 days in a week??? Maybe camping during a school break, be creative, have them figure something out

1 Like

Confused why the Jewish sabbath would prevent them from camping. Just grab a Sunday & Monday next holiday. Or look at start campout late Saturday, I’ve set up many a tent by flashlight.

1 Like

It does not look like all three meals have to be cooked on the same campout, so maybe cook the meals on different campouts.

Talk to the Scouts. Cooking dinner Saturday night after sundown might be an option.

Try to find opportunities for them to cook that are not on the Jewish sabbath. For example, a lot of people do not work on Veterans Day, and this year Veterans Day was on a Monday. If they had gone camping on Veterans Day weekend, they could have cooked on Sunday-Monday.

4 Likes

Reread the question. It’s not about the camping it’s the cooking portion. They can’t start fires or use grills to cook anything during the sabbath to cook anything for the requirement.

The requirement says while camping

Yes, the requirement says:

8(d) While camping in the outdoors, cook at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner for your patrol from the meals you have planned for requirement 8c. At least one of those meals must be a trail meal requiring the use of a lightweight stove.

Are you saying that they cannot camp between Friday sunset - Saturday sunset? Can they come out Saturday night to camp, and cook Saturday night - Sunday breakfast and lunch?

My understanding is that the Jewish sabbath goes from Friday sundown - Saturday sundown, so after that (Saturday night dinner, Sunday breakfast, and Sunday lunch) should all be OK.

1 Like

There is no requirement that the meals be cooked in the order listed. I’d propose they cook dinner Saturday after sundown and then breakfast and lunch on Sunday. There is no need for accommodation. (Alternatively, they could cook Friday before sundown and then on Sunday.)

4 Likes

[quote=“JenniferOlinger, post:11, topic:150293”]
Are you saying that they cannot camp between Friday sunset - Saturday sunset?
[/quote]no I’m saying they can’t light a stove or campfire to cook a meal during that time of the sabbath.

OK, but another Scout can light the fire / keep the fire going as prep. for the Saturday dinner. After the sun goes down, then they can cook. The requirement is for them to cook the meal - not light a fire for every meal.

It gets dark earlier now, so this shouldn’t be a big problem.

As observantes they are to my understanding they cannot add to the fire or maintain that fire once the sabbath starts to be able to cook. Also the meal must be cooked to a certain percentage before the sabbath begins to be able to be ok to have during the sabbath. So that’s one of the issues we run into for that requirement.

Marin Luther king Day weekend might work. Now that I think about it I think my troop might be camping that weekend. Thanks for that idea

Maybe there’s a date over the winter break that might work, too.

Arrive at camp Friday, and prepare all aspects of the meals that require heating or labor before sunset. This may require the scouts leaving immediately for camp after school in the winter months.
I suspect some of the non-observant scouts in their patrol might appreciate the opportunity to join them in this – especially if you can arrange an early dismissal for lessons in cultural awareness.

1 Like

Have you discussed this issue with their rabbi?

We have people in our troop that know the “rules” of what can and cant be done during the sabbath. These scouts know what can and cant be done as well. This is more of a way to try and fulfill the requirements without adjusting the requirement. Thanks for the help though.