Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Can 1 hike cover 2 requirements

Hello. If a badge’s requirements call for one hike (to meet one requirement) and an outdoor activity (to meet another requirement), could you use one hike to cover both of those? I understand hat one is usually meant to be a camp out; however, with COVID and the lack of ability to go camping as a pack due to restrictions, could we use a hike to cover the outdoor activity? And could we use the same hike to cover the hike requirement? Thanks.

It depends. What are the requirements you are looking at?

For example, for a wolf. Using a hike as the outdoor activity required by Call of the Wild (since camping is not currently possible) and using the same hike to cover the hike required for Paws on the Path. Still doing all other requirements for each but using one hike to cover the outdoor activity and the hike.

I wouldn’t probably count one hike as a hike and and outdoor activity. But I would count a hike and if they bring their six essentials needed for something else, I would count that. Or if they need to identify signs of animals or types of plants for another adventure, those could be multitasked into a hike. They could bring a healthy snack to share on the hike to count for another adventure. Etc.

1 Like

It should be no problem. Paws on the path even says you can combine with call of the wild on the leave no trace and outdoor code. As long as you’re fulfilling the other requirements I wouldn’t stress over a hike. Third graders just wanna have fun not worry bout requirements.

4 Likes

I’m currently a Tiger, Wolf and Bear leader. I have always treated them as 2 separate hikes and we do one in the fall and the second in the spring. It seems to me that since it is written as 2 adventures, that’s the way it should be done.

It’s only October. I really hope there will be a few more outdoor activites for the Scout to get a second one signed off. Cub Scouting should be experiential, and trying to use one activity for two requirements lessens the number of experiences the Scout should have.

2 Likes

No doubt @PeterHopkins, but the flip side is the advancement and recognition. I have seen very positive outcome with moral and participation when Cubs earn Rank prior to the Blue and Gold. Those that do tend to do more “stuff” anyway and be more active in my experience.

@JasonCostarakis - Your comment made my curious. So, here is my micro experience with rank advancement and the Blue & Gold this year.

I’m a Cubmaster, and we had 20 active Scouts in February. Here’s a breakdown:

4 Lions completed rank before Blue & Gold - only 1 active now as a Tiger
3 Tigers completed rank before Blue & Gold - none active now as Wolves
2 Wolves completed rank before Blue & Gold - 1 active (my daughter) as a Bear and 1 no longer active
1 Wolf completed rank AT Blue & Gold by earning Howling at the Moon that night; had to wait until June to get the badge, because we shut down in-person meetings - active as a Bear
2 Wolves completed rank after Blue & Gold - both active as Bears
1 Wolf did not complete rank - not active
1 Bear completed rank after Blue & Gold - active as a Webelos Scout even though family moved almost an hour south of us over the summer
3 Bears did not complete rank - none are active
1 fourth-grade Webelos Scout completed rank before Blue & Gold - not active
1 fourth-grade Webelos Scout completed rank after Blue & Gold - active as a fifth-grade Webelos Scout and expected to reregister with a troop for 2021
1 fourth-grade Webelos Scout did not complete rank - not active
No fifth-grade Webelos Scouts in February - graduated to scouts BSA in December 2019

Totals:
10 Scouts (50%) completed rank before Blue & Gold - 2 active (20%)
5 Scouts (25%) completed rank at or after Blue & Gold - all active (100%)
5 Scouts (25%) did not complete rank - none actve (0%)
Of 10 Scouts who did not have their rank completed before the Blue & Gold, only 5 (50%) ultimately got it done.

While this unscientific sample contradicts your statement, I don’t think it disproves it. When I think of the four Scouts who completed their rank after the Blue & Gold, all of whom are active now, they (and their families) had to have a firm commitment to Cub Scouting in order to make sure they finished. In the spring of 2020, it was HARD to advance in rank, and those who did had no intention of leaving. If I were to perform the same analaysis for any other year, I suspect we might see very different results.

2 Likes

@PeterHopkins,

I think you have shown a perfect example that there is no single one correct successful way to run the Scouting program.

As long as what is being done supports the aims of developing Character, Citizenship, Personal Fitness, and Leadership its good.

Flexibility to support the needs of the individual Scouts is always important.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Cub Scout Rank requirement completions are based on the philosophy of ‘Do your Best’

The intent is to do the activities to the best of your ability and at the end o the year award the Rank.

It is more important for Cub Scouts to have Fun and show up than complete everything to the letter of the book.

4.1.0.4 “Do Your Best”

Cub Scouts—even those of the same age, grade, and gender—may have very different developmental timetables. For this reason, advancement performance in Cub Scouting is centered on its motto: “Do Your Best.” When a Cub Scout has done this—their best effort possible—then regardless of the requirements for any rank or award, it is enough; accomplishment is noted. This is why den leaders, assistants, and parents or guardians are involved in approvals. Generally they know if the effort put forth is really the Cub Scout’s best.

I do agree with what you are saying about it being only October but this time last year I can guarantee that all of us leaders were thinking the same thing and ended up having to finish the year virtually. The scouts missed out on so much as dens working together in person. Who knows what this winter will bring :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

@PatriciaBurd, the sayings “make hay while the sun shines” and “Eat, drink, and be merry…” do have some logic behind them. In life those who grab every opportunity tend to experience more. If there are more opportunities later there is more experience or if there is a conflict in opportunities it can allow a wider range of experience.

Our Council opened up a week of Scout Camp to cubs in 2019, and I took my Tiger and AOL. I am really glad I did since my now bridged Scout missed out on that important first year of Camp. It’s not the same as going with a Troop, but it beats not having that frame of reference on the camp experience that BP talked about (and I agree with him 100%).

Where did I say not to grab any opportunity? I pointed out that last October that us as leaders were basically thinking it’s only October and we can pick up in the spring, which obviously didn’t go as planned. I don’t know what state you live in but if it’s NJ then you know what we went through and still are. I’m all for doing all you can and so are my boys. I’ve got a very active group of Webelos and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

@PatriciaBurd,
M sincere apologies that my wording came across other than intended. My comments are in full agreement with and support of yours.

No apologies needed. It’s all good. I’m glad that you agreed… lol. I honestly thought you didn’t and I was trying to figure out what I said that would make anybody think I’m not all for opportunity for the boys.

1 Like

Gotta love the issues with text based communication. :wink:

Scout On!

2 Likes