Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Can an Eagle Scout Still Earn Merit Badges?

I understand how Scouts of lower ranks earn merit badges (I was in Scouts but its been a while), but can a scout still earn merit badges AFTER they attain the rank of Eagle Scout?

1 Like

Yes, they can continue to earn merit badges, Eagle Palms, and other Scouts BSA awards until their 18th birthday.

3 Likes

Here is the reference for you:

4.2.0.1 Scouting Ranks and Advancement Age Requirements
All Scouts BSA awards, merit badges, badges of rank, and Eagle Palms are only for registered Scouts, including Lone Scouts, and also for qualified Venturers or Sea Scouts who are not yet 18 years old. Venturers and Sea Scouts qualify by achieving First Class rank as a Scout or Lone Scout, or Varsity Scout (prior to January 1, 2018). The only exceptions for those older than age 18 are related to Scouts registered beyond the age of eligibility (“Registering Qualified Members Beyond Age of Eligibility,” 10.1.0.0) and those who have been granted time extensions to complete the Eagle Scout rank (“Time Extensions,” 9.0.4.0).

3 Likes

They can, and they should.
Moreover, your Eagles should be encouraged to earn Palms, because, in addition to the badges, they are encouraged to continue leadership development and engage in further adult association with their scoutmaster regarding their personal growth and application of the Oath and Law.

Yep. One of my biggest frustrations is with kids that earn their Eagle at a relatively young age, and then disappear…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.