Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Chartered Org question

Is is reasonable or correct for a BSA troop to be chartered by a male-only organization?

Thank you

1 Like

I guess you have to ask the other way around also? What if it was a female only group? Or a Jewish, Methodist or Catholic group? Oh wait, churches charter alot of units. I have never heard or seen anything saying such a group cannot be a charter.

1 Like

There is no official restriction on single gender organizations being a charter partner that I am aware of. Our charter partner is only for veterans so the same could be said about that.

3 Likes

I think their are plenty of orgs that are male only have chartered troops. For example Methodist Men’s groups, knights of Columbus, etc. is this group a hate group or just a group that is men only?

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am aware of church charters as most in the local area have such. My question was concerning a male-only organization, not affiliated with any wrong doing, but does exclude members based on gender - I was not sure if this was an anomaly, but it sounds like it is not.

Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.