Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Chartered Org Rep

Greetings,
I’m a former leader in a Cub Pack, and have been around Scouting for 40yrs. Recently I noticed the Packs chartered Org rep was replaced, with the boyfriend of the Cubmaster. They’re not affiliated with the chartered organization (aren’t’ members or attend church there). Is this appropriate? Shouldn’t for insurance reasons alone an actual member or someone affiliated with the church, if not the Pastor themselves be the rep?
Sincerely,
Worried about the future of the unit.

I would say it does not appear to be appropriate and appears to violate the agreement the charter organization has with BSA. The big question is who signed the annual unit charter agreement for the charter organization.

Bring the issue to the attention of the church’s executive officer who may not be the pastor, but the head of the church’s executive board.

I also suggest advising the council Scouting Executive and District Executive about the situation.

More information:

2 Likes

There’s nothing in The Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America, the Registration Guidebook, or in the Annual Charter Agreement that reads a COR must be a member of the CO.

Or, I’m missing something, in which case I’m hopeful you’ll steer me to correcting my error.

1 Like

Fundamentally, I don’t know how someone could function as a COR without being a member of the Chartering Organization. The whole point of the role is to make sure the Council and the Chartered Organization are working together. If your “COR” isn’t a member of the chartered organization, how can he actually represent their interests?

The Chartered Organization Representative Guidebook says the COR is appointed by the Chartering Organization (p2) and is the person to “head the ‘Scouting department’ in your organization and are responsible for the success of its Scouting units. As such, you are one of each unit’s Key 3 leaders guiding its operation.”

Also, putting two of the Key 3 members in the same household is the opposite of a “best practice”. Further, a Chartered Organization only has one COR, regardless of the number of units it charters, so if the church also has a Troop or a Crew, how are they being addressed.

source:https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/511-421(16)_web.pdf

1 Like

If I was investigating this situation for the council, I would want to know:

1. Is the person who signed for the charter organization (first signature on the organization and unit charter agreements) have the authority to do so?
  2. Did that person assign the COR on the unit charter agreement to represent the charter organization?

If the above is not true, the council could cancel the current agreement(s).

1 Like

I agree, I felt it’s unethical to say the least. It’s a matter of one Cubmaster just filling spots as opposed to forming an actual unit with a key3. I tried in my years with the pack, as my son progressed to highly recommend putting a true key 3 together. Unfortunate that the Pack near us folded, snd we absorbed them because of lack of leadership. Now after a year snd a half of this CM we’ve lost 1/2. And nothing is being run on a Comittee basis. It’s a one person show, which doesn’t work. I feel bad for the kids left, there will be no AOL next year. The unit has been run like an autocracy instead of by Comittee. I am an Eagle, dad was a council rep and had 40yrs experience. I tried showing how the program is run, and pushed people to get trained, but got crickets in return. I’m afraid the unit will fail now, not because I’m out, but because although I provided the best example I possibly could, the CM wouldn’t even take online position training. I remember taking multiple trainings as a late teen. They were full weekend sessions. Now you can do it in your phone, it’s pretty sad.

I think this gets into the open secret/flaw in the modern BSA Chartered Organization model: some (many? most?) view the CO-unit relationship as “we just let them use our space and sign a paper once a year.”

If the CO views the CO-unit relationship as just that (sign the paper & give the unit a room once a week), then what does the CO care if the person is or is not part of the CO?

1 Like

From your source page 1, left column:

Each chartered organization appoints a volunteer, other than the unit leader or assistant unit leader, as its chartered organization representative to represent it as a member of the district committee and as a voting member of the local council. The primary responsibilities of the chartered organization representative are to help units be successful and to provide coordination between the chartered
organization and the BSA. Every chartered
organization representative is encouraged to
become an active, participating member of one
of the district’s committees

appoints a volunteer someone, anyone who’s willing to be the COR. NOTE: I don’t believe BSA intended volunteer to be a Scouter, though I have seen an instance where a den leader stepped down and became a COR. That person was not a “member” of the CO.

Yep, but fundamentally, the volunteer should a member of the CO, or should join the CO to assume that role. You are representing the Chartered Organization as a member of the district and council committees. I don’t think the BSA envisioned chartered organizations pulling random people off the streets for that position.

That is because when the CO system was created it was with an idea that the CO would select from among their own and from the community men (it was men at the time) of good moral character they knew personally and were comfortable in leading the young boys (yes, I know) in their efforts.

Today, the CO system is so utterly not that. BSA may not have “envisioned” COs pulling in random people as CORs, but then again BSA also “envisioned” COs being active on councils, engaged with their units, and fully aware of the comings and goings of scouting.

1 Like

Fundamentally, yes they should be. Since there is nothing that reads they must, it’s the decision of the head of the CO.

1 Like

Ours is not, but maintains a very close working relationship with the IH. So, our COR can represent, or meet to confirm, anytime there is an issue the IH hasn’t been briefed on or set clear policy on. So, it can work.

Where I am no COR is a member of the CO. There are a lot of legacy units affiliated with small churches that no longer have membership but still support units. This is a problem with the CO model.

1 Like

Ethics. Lol. The boyfriend is simply paying to fill the position because it’s required by bsa (even when it’s only on paper)

My former CO refused to provide someone to be COR. They didn’t want to sign the charter, and refused to pay for the charter.

So our cor was a former cubmaster, and I paid the charter out of cub dues. I would take paperwork to the cor to sign.

I also had to pay for air conditioning costs during the warm months. Which came out of my daughters popcorn sales.

You all are lucky to have good CO. Many, many, units have to pay to use facilities and get no CO support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.