Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Chartering Org requesting a letter from Troop about current/past sexual abuse claims

My scout troop has been with our charter for over 25 years. We were asked for the same letter. Now a couple of weeks ago I was informed that the they will no longer charter us after December. Has anyone gone though this? Now we are scrambling to find a new charter both pack and Troop. any ideas out there that can help us out?

1 Like

I was about to say I just heard of a unit in that position then I saw it was you @JahnJohnston

@JahnJohnston, what was their reasoning for dropping the Pack & Troop?

Back to my situation, I reached out to my UC & DE and have not received any guidance.

I suggest as you move to a new CO, consider how to keep your unit’s tenure. There is a way to keep your unit’s 25+ year history attached to your unit, even though you are changing your CO.

Buried in this thread New Charter Org is a bit of advice about how to keep your unit tenure:

KennethAdams
May 26
My Pack and Troop went through this [changing CO] about five years ago, when I was the Committee Chair for both units.

Short version - based on our experience, control your own destiny by owning the process, and getting help where needed. It’s a lot of work.

He goes on to detail the long version. The next day had a comment about tenure:

KennethAdams
May 27
We had no break, and our charter package last year noted 960 months of continuous service. It took having a knowledgeable registrar involved in recording the change to make that happen. Prime the pump early!

And when asked how it worked:

KennethAdams
May 28
… here’s the advice I got from a former registrar:

so my best advice without poking around in registration stuff would be to suggest that their registrar call the special help desk # 855.707.2644 and specifically ask for help with changing a units chartered organization. They will be able to walk the registrar thru it on the phone in 5 minutes

2 Likes

The reasoning was due to the lawsuits the BSA is facing.

1 Like

My COR requested that all the units send out the claim letter to all known members and former members. I may also have provided her with a list of those addresses (not sure). There is some expectation that the BSA has done its part to notify anyone who may have a claim of the deadline. Failure to do so could open the door for more claims. I would suspect that based on what the BSA has sent to the COs that there is some concern the CO could become liable if not enough was done to notify people as well.

What do units that are 70, 80, 90+ Years old do? That is spot of people and they may not have addresses or contact with them anymore.

2 Likes

The BSA was required to spend millions ($10M?) on some of the commercials as part of the court rulings. Other commercials were law firms looking for customers. I do not know if letters were sent out, but the ad campaign was the official notice.

1 Like

I suspect that with all the hype by law firms building up to the Nov 16 deadline that members of their board are concerned that next the lawyers will go after the chartered partners. You should direct the request to your Scout Exec for guidance.

1 Like

Not too surprising given that the law firms suing the BSA have made it clear they want to go after the councils, districts, and chartering organizations, in addition to suing the BSA. So it is understandable that chartering organizations, who the BSA has kept in the dark on this, see the headlines on the news and the chatter amongst concerned members are reacting in this manner to the very real possibility they are going to get dragged into this mess. I appreciate that the BSA is trying to keep everyone else out of this, but the reality is that the fault for all of this being allowed to occur and fester over the years lies with the charter orgs, districts and councils. Fortunately, our units are less than 2 years old, so the risk to our chartering org (who is new to being a chartering org) is almost non-existent. But unfortunately, even though we were not in any way a part of the abuse problem, we are still going to be paying for it just like everyone else.

1 Like

I am not a lawyer, and I’m not aware that any unit I’m involved with has gotten such a request; although my children’s pack is in the process of switching chartered organizations for unrelated reasons.

But if my unit got such a request, I think the best way to answer it would be a stack of notarized affidavits, one from each registered leader. I hope most would be of the form,

I, name, have been a registered leader with unit chartered by organization since date. During that time, I have not witnessed, had reported to me, or otherwise had credible knowledge of any incident of child sexual abuse (as defined in the Sexual Abuse Survivor claim form in the bankruptcy case of In Re Boy Scouts of America).

However, there might be someone who makes a report as follows,

I, name, have been a registered leader with unit chartered by organization since date. On or about date, I observed an incident which I reported to the council District Executive person, to agency hotline, and to person at organization. During that time, I have not otherwise witnessed, had reported to me, or otherwise had credible knowledge of any incident of child sexual abuse (as defined in the Sexual Abuse Survivor claim form in the bankruptcy case of In Re Boy Scouts of America).

In other words, just the facts. Even if the CO is stopping their support of Scouting, I still think it would be the honorable thing to do to provide a responsive reply to such a request.

And if a CO thinks they can escape liability by dropping their charter now, I don’t think that’s how it works. If BSA and all the Councils get converted to Chapter 7 and there still isn’t enough money to satisfy all the claims, some lawyers will try going after chartered organizations. They may have the most success with an organization that sponsored a particular unit where abuse took place, but if that organization is defunct or has little assets, they’ll try casting a wider net: the CO that registered a unit commissioner who should have said something to stop the abuse, or the CO where the abuser had been a youth member, or the CO of the unit whose leaders conducted a session at the abuser’s Woodbadge or BALOO training… and if there aren’t records to figure that out any more, every CO that chartered any unit in the council. And that will include organizations that chartered a unit 10 years ago, or 20, or 40.

1 Like

Getting back to the original post.
Ironically I have come into possession of the letters that may have spurred your COs request. They are either confused or you have read more into the request. The Proof of Claim has nothing to do with cases of abuse. It has everything to do with the bankruptcy filing.
I’m not an expert in legalese but it appears this is standard procedure in bankruptcy cases. Lawyers are trying to identify everyone that might have a legal claim for monetary compensation from National. There are several points in the document that mention this has nothing to do with claims of abuse and people are directed to a whole other case filing to find information on that sort of thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.