Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Citizenship in the community MB question

Would volunteering at another scout’s Eagle Scout project work for requirement 7?
This is the scouts argument: Eagle projects are still under the jurisdiction of the organization just with a scout running the specific project while the organization oversees it. I am still able to learn about the organization and volunteer with them as normal. I am able to research and learn about the organization and find out how i can help which checks the next two boxes. And lastly I am able to spend 8 hours of volunteering for the organization. Overall, I believe that volunteering would be an adequate way of completing requirement 7.
Thanks!

Tammie,

Accepting the project would be at the discretion of the Merit Badge Counselor.

1 Like

Thank you. I am the MBC. Just wondering how others feel this meets the requirements. I am feeling a little more flexible these covid days with reduced opportunity for volunteer work, so am factoring that in.

Here’s Requirement 7:

7. Do the following:

a. Identify three charitable organizations outside of Scouting
that interest you and bring people in your community
together to work for the good of your community.

b. Pick ONE of the organizations you chose for requirement
7a. Using a variety of resources (including newspapers,
fliers and other literature, the Internet, volunteers, and
employees of the organization), find out more about
this organization.

c. With your counselor’s and your parent’s approval, contact
the organization you chose for requirement 7b, and find out
what young people can do to help. While working on this
merit badge, volunteer at least eight hours of your time for
the organization. After your volunteer experience is over,
discuss what you have learned with your counselor.

As MB Counselor for this I would not. The requirements are pretty specific and with it being an Eagle MB I want the Scout to not take a short cut…But that’s up to each MB Counselor to decide.

I’ll also add that 7a and 7b asks for the Scout working on the MB to Identify and Pick the specific organizations. Since he is working on another Scout’s project he’s really not making the choices but rather riding on the coattails of another Scouts project.

1 Like

Did the Scout contact the organization and find out what young people can do to help?

If so, then I think it could potentially count. But it might depend on the nature of the Eagle project.

1 Like

My gut says if the scout asked they organization and they said, “We need more youth to pitch in on Scout X’s Eagle project.”

That’s different than hearing that a fellow scout has a project for organization Y and decides that they’d like that to serve for Cit. Comm. 7.

Is it a big enough difference? That’s why I always defer to the MBC and the scout.

1 Like

Last time I taught this badge, I told the Scouts something like: “Pay attention as you complete this requirement. If the organization you volunteer for is a good fit, you might be able to go back and do your Eagle project for them as well.”

I can think of a couple ways it might make sense to count Eagle Project hours toward this requirement:

1. A scout reaches Life without working on Citizenship in the Community requirement 7 yet. He researches three organizations, and while learning about them also finds his idea for a project. He contacts the organization, finds out “what young people can do to help”, and immediately proposes his project. He volunteers 8 hours of HIS OWN time as part of that project. (Or maybe he does 7a, 7b and six hours of 7c pre-Life for the organization. Then he can count two hours of his own Eagle project toward it.)

2. A scout researches three organizations. When he contacts one and asks “what can young people do to help?”, he is told: “A Boy Scout (maybe the same troop, maybe some other) is doing an Eagle project on such-and-such a date for us. That’s all the help we expect to need any time soon.” So he contacts the Eagle candidate and is assigned an 8-hour role on the project.

But I would be reluctant to pass a scout off on that requirement with the hand-waving that he’ll learn about the organization “while” participating on the project, and without clarity that he actually contacted the organization himself before starting work. The planning and prior research in 7a and 7b are important parts of the requirement, and logically prerequisites to 7c.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.