BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Clarification of Howling at the Moon requirements

Our Wolf Den is working on Howling at the Moon. After checking out the DLE for it, I believe I may have been misinterpreting the requirements and want to confirm what I now believe to be true.

Requirement 2 - Work with your den or family to create an original skit.
So the Scouts come up with a skit, come up with a script, assign parts, and rehearse a few times. They don’t actually have to perform for anyone.

Requirement 3 - Work together with your den or family to plan, prepare, and rehearse a campfire program to present at a den meeting or pack program.
Once again, the Scouts plan, prepare, and rehearse, but don’t actually need to perform.

Requirement 4 - Perform your role for a den meeting or pack program.
This is where the performance comes in to play (no pun intended). The Scouts need to perform their skit/song. Do they need to perform the entire campfire program, or do they just need to perform part of it?

Here’s why I’m asking. Originally I had read all the requirements and interpreted them as having to perform. In rereading the requirements (and seeing when DLE marks them as complete), I realize that requirements 2 & 3 are preparing for a performance. We did those at this past week’s meeting. To meet requirement 4, does the Den need to run the next Pack campfire to play a role in their “campfire program”, or do they just need to participate in the next campfire (or den meeting/pack night)? I just want to make sure I’m interpreting the requirements correctly.

I would treat each requirement independently. So, they do not need to actually lead the entire campfire program.

Granted, it might be nice to actually use all of their plans since they went through the trouble, but it’s not needed to mark the requirement complete.

Thank you. We have Scouts who will be missing this weekend’s campfire, and I wanted to make sure that there would be an opportunity for them to meet the requirement as the year goes on. The pack will have another campfire in the spring, but I’d like it done before then. So, I’ll probably have them do their song or skit at a pack night.

Thanks.

Have you taken a look at the Wolf Den Leader Guide?

NOTES TO DEN LEADER
Meeting 3 is where the families in your den come together to perform. In this den meeting plan, the meeting is designed to be a campfire. You may do this activity at a den or pack meeting. Make sure that all of the Scouts’ families are invited as soon as the time and location are arranged, and that any needed props are provided or brought by the Scouts.
See the appendix for optional den meeting activities, including openings, gatherings, and closings.

So any Scouts who miss your campfire this weekend can make this requirement up at any den meeting or pack meeting.

@JenniferOlinger I saw the leader guide and the intent of Meeting 3 to be a campfire. However, my question is, based upon the requirement as written, do they need to perform an entire campfire with opening, closing, run-ons, skits, and songs? Or, can they perform a portion of a campfire? We are having a Pack campfire, and we have several scouts that won’t be able to make it. What I’m trying to ascertain is whether I will need to arrange to have another full campfire in order for these scouts to earn this adventure… or, if they perform a skit/sing a song for the families, is this sufficient? I want to meet the spirit of the requirement. I’m taking “Do Your Best” into consideration here as I can’t believe that we have a required requirement in a required adventure that is setup where if a scout misses the event he can’t easily earn it without the leadership having to jump through some hoops to facilitate it.

An actual campfire would be ideal, but this adventure can also be completed at a den or pack meeting (in the Den Leader Guide it has Meeting 1 Plan: Activity 3: Campfire Program: “As Wolf Scouts, the members of the den will plan, prepare, and present their own campfire program to be performed at the event you have chosen such as a campfire, den meeting, or pack meeting.”)

Yes, I think they could perform their skit later on at a den meeting, pack meeting, or later campfire and it would be fine using the “Do Your Best” standard.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.