BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Conservation service hours

I have a scout that did some service hours at his synagogue clearing brush, pruning trees and other “landscaping” projects around the grounds. Would you consider that to fall under the conservation realm for certain conservation service hours like the world conservation award or the national outdoor award conservation project?

As a general rule most, if not all, service projects must be approved by the Scoutmaster before doing the work.

Here’s a good article from Bryan on Scouting addressing this matter:

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2013/05/17/service-hours/

1 Like

@WilliamC getting approval was not the question nor was doing a project outside of doing it as a troop. Please re-read the question.

I generally consider brush-clearing and similar types of work done as conservation-related if its purpose is to preserve the environment (e.g. trail building or maintenance keeps hikers on trails, creating a fire break, removing invasive species, plantings to support local wildlife, etc). I’m not sure that general grounds maintenance would fall under that heading for me. Service? Yes. Conservation-related? Probably not given the information presented so far.

The closest thing to guidance I’ve seen on this is under the discussion of the Conservation Good Turn award:

Since 1910, conservation has been an integral part of the program of the Boy Scouts of America. The BSA has been a positive force in conservation and environmental efforts. Scouts have rendered distinguished public service by helping to conserve wildlife, energy, forests, soil, and water.
[ Emphasis added ]

It seems to me that a project which does one or more of the things highlighted there would be conservation-related. The linked web page also has some exemplar projects that might offer some guidance in your decision-making.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.