Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Contacted for service at another Troop's Chartering Org

My Troop was contacted via email by a woman’s group at a local Church for service. I’ve got Scouts who need service hours and this is something that we would normally do for our own chartering Church. What concerns me is this Church charters a fairly active Troop itself. I replied to her email that this was indeed something our Scouts do, but they charter a Troop that probably needs service hours themselves. I also went on to say that I didn’t want to step on any toes by showing up at this Troops meeting place when they were never offered the opportunity.

Her reply was she would take Scouts from both Troops and that I should coordinate with the other Scoutmaster. Additionally her original email said she was a District Executive “back home,” so she should know how Chartering and Troops work. This whole thing strikes me as weird

I attempted to contact the other Troop, but their “Be a Scout” information has no email or phone number. I sent an email to who I think is the Scoutmaster and haven’t back in the last week.

I’m of the mind to decline. We have our own duties to our Charter as well as our own community events we support. This group has their own Troop, and I’ve made every attempt to contact them. Our Unit Commissioner does not cover their Troop, and last I heard, they didn’t have a UC.

It’d seem that you District Commissioner or Assistant District Commissioner should be able to get you current contact info for multiple people in their troop.

1 Like

I would go out on a limb and say it’s not your job to coordinate the stuff she wants done.

I know I’d certainly be irate if someone from our chartering church invited another Troop to do service without discussing it with us first – both with the person that invited them out and with the Troop that decided to barge right in, knowing we were affiliated with that church.

3 Likes

A scout is helpful. Maybe she had the same luck as you in trying to get in touch with her troop. I would agree with Jacob that the District (executive, chair, commissioner) should all have contact information that you could share with her. Then if that troop needs help with the project they could ask your scouts. Don’t lose the opportunity for scouts to learn from each other while serving the community.

Maybe, but I doubt it. There’s someone at the church that knows how to get hold of the Troop – if nothing else, the pastor is the one that approved the COR and signs the charter annually…

We have a couple “super Troops” in our area that routinely trample over the smaller Troops doing stuff like that. It’s not helpful to just show up, nor to assume the other Troop wants help unless they ask.

Part of this is the Issue of Scouters not going to Roundtables so they know each other and unit leaders not talking to other unit leaders. That is something I work hard to turn around.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, you’re right. As a COR, I try to get to every Roundtable, as does my SM and usually one or two ASM from the troop. But it’s obvious from the number of attendees that not all units are sending leaders to Roundtable…

A post was split to a new topic: Ideas to improve roundtables and other inter-unit communications

I tracked the other Scoutmaster down. I get the impression, much like my email, the requester’s email went unanswered.

An Assistant District Commissioner likely knows who, within the troop is good at responding to emails. Unfortunately, that’s not always the SM.

1 Like

It depends on the religious organization. Some pastors/ministers may not be the institutional head or chief executive officer.

1 Like

First, there’s nothing against helping another CO. Although usually, it’s the troop itself that makes the contact. In fact, our scouts are usually point people for that sort of that sort of thing. So, I usually pull the “have your SPL contact my SPL and if the boys are game, we’ll support them.” Our scouts are awash in service hours, so they are more than welcome to bring another troop onboard. But I know the SMs from roundtable, and we’ve introduced our SPL’s to each other. Our O/A chapter reps meet at the same time as RT, so there’s plenty of opportunity for communication. (Not that it’s always utilized, but we make sure the opportunity is there.)
A DE might know how Chartering and Troops work, but many are a little fuzzy on the patrol method. And it sounds like she may be completely ignorant of your district. So, your instincts are probably right that she might be insensitive to whose toes get stepped on. Still … keep an open mind and have a chat with other SM. See what the real situation on the ground is and do what we all do: adjust accordingly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.