Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Crews, merit badges, and Eagle

Hi all - apologies if this has been answered before, but I can’t seem to find something official.

If I have a Life Scout who joins a Crew, they can still complete their MBs and earn their Eagle through their Troop, correct? I can’t see a reason why not.

However, what if I have a Life Scout who joins a crew and drops off from their Troop. Can they continue to complete open merit badges while being part of only a crew and still do their Eagle project and get Eagle rank, or do they have to be registered with a Troop?

I presume if this is OK the MBC signs off the blue cards like normal and then the Crew Advisor does the equivalent of scout master approval?

Thanks so much,

Paul

Paul,

This is covered in the Guide to Advancement. A Scout who earns First Class while registered with a Troop can earn Scouts BSA Ranks and Merit Badges while only registered with a Crew or Ship.

2 Likes

Please see the BSA Guide to Advancement section 4.3.1.4 Scouts BSA Advancement in Venturing that @edavignon is referring to.

1 Like

Thanks @edavignon & @JenniferOlinger - much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.