Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Cub advancements during covid

So I am a lion leader of a den of one and I have been working with him on his advancement and been using his family as his den. He has an older brother who is a Tiger and has been unable to meet with his den in person due to meeting restrictions in our city and the den has not been the most active either. would it be, for lack of a better word, “wrong” for me to be working with this tiger and signing off to keep him on track to get tiger?I know that cubs can do a lot of activities as a family and during the “quarantine” some of the advancements have been modified be national. This family is home schooled and I have been helping them out via video/phone calls following ypt guidelines and using the oldest brother in our crew as a den chief to help out as well. What are yalls thoughts?

2 Likes

I would think that is fine. The standard for Cub Scouts is Do Your Best. I believe your plan fulfills that standard.

7 Likes

Do it.

Do what is best for the scout and you won’t go wrong.

1 Like

In reference to:

Being registered as a Lone Cub Scout appears to be an option.

Only if there isn’t a unit available to them. They are in a pack.

1 Like

Your response makes me wonder if your council professionals are practicing discrimination against “home” schooled students in order to not having to provide support. I suggest reading:
Lone Scout Friend and Counselor Guidebook *, 511-420, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, 2019 Printing, p. 4, which includes the following but is not limited situations:

• Home-schooled where parents do not want them in a youth group
  • Environments where getting to meetings may put the Scout in danger

I understand it is possible to have a cub scout registered both in a pack and as a lone cub scout. Safety takes precedence over program. There are variations being made for COVID-19. I suggest contacting the district membership chair (or council scout executive if necessary) and to do what is best for the cub scout.

This is not the case.

by this logic every scout in the BSA should register as a Lone Scout during covid.

The OP was asking about me working with a scout that was part of a tiger den that im not a leader for.

I see no problem with this. Parents are Akela and can already sign off on advancements done outside of den meetings / activities - especially now until July 31 (see COVID-19 FAQs). I would recommend keeping the Cubmaster informated, but otherwise do what’s best for the Scout.

5 Likes

The den leader guides have the “den leader” where I would like to see “a den leader” or ADL. However until we have a vaccine we will need to continue house or ship quarantine.

Anyone can get and die from COVID-19 (my opinion)

• You can have and spread the virus without knowing you have the virus.
  • We are still in phase 1 of the outbreak. Phase 2 is expected to start with the addition of the fall 2020 flu season (in August 2020?)

In regard to what in particular?

Yes that’s why I was asking the question.

d [quote=“Bill_W, post:10, topic:172553”]

Anyone can get and die from COVID-19 (my opinion)

• You can have and spread the virus without knowing you have the virus.
  • We are still in phase 1 of the outbreak. Phase 2 is expected to start with the addition of the fall 2020 flu season (in August 2020?)
    [/quote]
    Im pretty sure a lot of people know the seriousness of COVID.

National’s COVID-19 guidelines state, in effect, that the family may substitute for a den where necessary. It appears that this Cub Scout and his family have been doing that. As long as the requirements for the Lion badge have been met either in den or pack activities or at home, the Rank should be awarded. That should apply to any Cub Scout this spring/summer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.