Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Cub Scouts and high adventure

Can cub scouts do high adventure activities? I know that the high adventure bases are typically BSA level not cub level scouts.

I was thinking of organizing a trip to a national park for our pack to do some hiking and camping. Has anyone done this at the cub scout level.

The Guide to Safe Scouting has specific limitations on what can be done for Cub Scout camping. I’ve been with a troop for a while now, but if I recall correctly, it doesn’t permit for backpacking high-adventure by Cub Scouts.

3 Likes

High adventure is a term that usually refers to activities that are appropriate for older, more experienced Scouts (generally age 13+).

Day hiking is OK.

You are somewhat limited with camping (from the same Guide to Safe Scouting reference that @CharleyHamilton posted above):

Pack Overnighters

These are pack-organized overnight events involving more than one family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout activities and conducted at council-approved locations (councils use Pack Overnight Campout Site Appraisal Form, No. 430-902). If nonmembers (siblings) participate, the event must be structured accordingly to accommodate them. BSA Health and Safety and Youth Protection policies apply. In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian. In all cases, each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult.

At least one adult on a pack overnighter must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162) to properly understand the importance of program intent, Youth Protection policies, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate activities, and sufficient adult participation.

Reference: Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines, No. 510-631

1 Like

From what I read is that pack overnighters are fine at council approved locations so if council approves the national park then we should be fine camping there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.