"Den Leader sign in"?

Our pack does it as well. It is an integrated plan, all years, all dens, and the pack.

Once a week den meetings, once a month pack meetings (they take the place of a den meeting the week). They used to have a pack meeting and a den meeting that week, but have found they have better attendance by having only one meeting that week.

Some guides for this new module are in development. A FAQ is posted and other guides will be at this link and in the app

https://help.scoutbook.com/article-categories/cubs/

1 Like

The only valuable feature for experienced leaders is the free Den Leader guide. We typically buy those for our leaders so this is a big cost savings.

1 Like

This is AMAZING I just may pass this on to our leaders.

The Cub Scout Leader Book (CSLB), 33221, 2018 printing, © Boy Scouts of America, SKU 646725, states in part:

Cub Scout Leader Position Descriptions

p. 53

While each leadership position in Cub Scouting requires different skills and abilities, all Cub Scout leaders must: …

• Assure that a well-rounded, quality program that is compatible with the purposes of Cub Scouting is presented. …

Pack Committee Member

p. 55

• Ensure that all Cub Scouts receive a year round, quality program

Cubmaster

p. 58

• Work with the pack committee on program ideas, selecting and recruiting adult leaders, and establishing a budget plan.
  • Guide and support den leaders. …
  • See that Cub Scouts receive a quality, year round program filled with fun and activities that qualify the dens and pack for the National Summertime Pack Award.

Cub Scout Den Leaders

p. 60

• Plan, prepare for, and conduct den meetings with the assistant den leader and den chief (if Wolf, Bear, or Webelos den leaders) or adult partners (if Lion or Tiger den leaders).

For other responsibilities see Cub Scout Leader Book (2018) and sub-program den leader guidebooks.

I do not know if the Leader Guide(s) in this new tool include the complete BSA published den leaders guides.

1 Like

You do have a right to put out your views on this. you make some valid points. In our pack this meeting plan works great. 98% of our scouts make rank and we have high attendance levels at all meetings. are avg attendance at meeting fall in the high 90 % level. we are a pack of over 50 scouts. If somebody misses a meeting they normal work with there family on the requirements and the parents get back to us with the approvals the requirement has been meet. We as a pack also have 1 to 2 activities as a pack on the calendar for weekends in a month. Mostly are day camps or visits to local historical areas or service areas. We do camp a lot as a pack also.

1 Like

Ok so I was curious. and signed in. Entered my den info. It populated a plan for me. (not the one I"m going to follow being an experienced den leader. This is my second time around.) however it does have its features. If it works. It could be a cool tool even for the experienced DL. There is tracking to see who is behind and who is on target. Assign “take home” activities. It has potential if we are able to change the recommended meeting minutes to our own plan.

2 Likes

If this is a pilot program, then don’t put it on the public website. The alpha testers should know what the URL is without confusing the heck out of the rest of the Den Leaders out there. I didn’t see this thread before I started another, sorry about that:

1 Like

Hey if what you’re doing works, keep doing it.

2 Likes

For Den leaders to keep attendance and plan den meetings.

Edit to my 4th paragraph after some reflection at WSJ

EDIT: I think even second year den leaders will find this limiting as we all learn you have to go with the flow to get a den through. Once den meetings made is scoutbook with planned advancements roll in it will be very useful.

1 Like

William, did you read his post before posting your sarcastic reply?

@ElaineGiacomo - I am not certain what was sarcastic in Bill Nelson’s reply other than pointing out the FAQ and help link.

Scoutbook updated the “Scoutbook – New Experience for Den Leaders (BETA) – FAQ” on 29 July 2019. BSA has also released more resources for den leaders:

The July-August 2019 Advancement News includes “Cub Scouts BSA: Preview Adventures and Den Meeting Plans; Yo-Yo Preview Adventure: Check It Out! Scouts”

Another major update is for Cub Scout leaders. A number of den meeting plans which have been in development, testing, and limited use for many years have been adapted for the current editions of the Cub Scout Handbooks. Available online, these plans enable the tracking of adventure completion and Cub Scout advancement, and also give parents access to see their child’s progress, as well as giving them suggestions for enrichment activities at home. Use of the den meeting plans will help den leaders plan and conduct their den meetings more easily. The goal is to increase membership retention by making the den meeting experience consistent across the country, well-organized, and aligning with the full content of the Cub Scout program.

The “online” link (above) takes you to the “Den Meeting Resources” web page.

As another option for how Dens can do adventures (including sharing the “lead” for adventure elements), feel free to see these “Streamlined” adventure plans posted on this page in pdf and word.

Use any if you like, or just file away under idle campfire chatter.

1 Like

So now it’s being publicly promoted (even though I agree with previous posts that it is still very much a beta iteration).

The app has BETA throughout.

Fair enough. I removed my original post.

Am I the only one who sees exactly zero functionality in this login? I can see my den, but I can’t actually do anything. Can’t see what has been earned, what needs to be earned, no ability to add meetings (can they be added here or not?). I can’t see what exactly this login will do at all. Yes, it’s in beta, but it should not have been launched if it doesn’t do anything at all. The rank progress page for a kid shows me what % is completed but no way to see what specifically s/he needs to do to finish up. I clicked this login at camp while trying to plug in a few Arrow of Light requirements, and was shocked… there is an awful lot here that is broken or not possible. Certainly hoping that BSA doesn’t push this as the primary interface in future.

1 Like

@JoshuaNixon the purpose of the login is really three fold

1. It can auto setup meeting for you which covers all Required Adventures for your rank
  2. Once you do that - there are links to resources to help you prepare for any given planned meeting
  3. During the meeting you can take attendance and it records that and the advancements in SB for you
1 Like