District Level Access for SB

A unit can always add you as a Unit Commissioner.

What exactly are you trying to do from the District level that you need unit-level access?

I don’t let any adults that aren’t registered in my unit and personally known to me have any information about the youth in our unit.

• A. DO NOT WANT ANY NAMES OF PEOPLE IN THE UNIT
  • B. I
    have not been into SB so am not sure what is there
  • C. The
    District people would want to track night of camping, service hours,
    advancement ect. for District JTE to see if we are on track
  • D. SB
    should have been built so District could get tracking results from the unit
    input without comprising units security
  • E. SB
    should have given a way to look at their program without having be a member of
    a unit to see what is there

YIS

B. J. Carew

1 Like

A. DO NOT WANT ANY NAMES OF PEOPLE IN THE UNIT

B. I
have not been into SB so am not sure what is there

C. The
District people would want to track night of camping, service hours,
advancement ect. for District JTE to see if we are on track

D. SB
should have been built so District could get tracking results from the unit
input without comprising units security

E. SB
should have given a way to look at their program without having be a member of
a unit.

@BrendanCarew - a few details first:

Scoutbook was developed by an individual and later purchased by the BSA

As far as gathering data on camping and service, the logs in scoutbook are basically free text and not universally used.

I personally find your approach a bit unfriendly but you do at the very least match those of my district and council so a big high five there.

Scoutbook was developed as a unit tool and I am not certain if it will morph into a district tool.

1 Like

Unit commissioners are assigned by the District Commissioner, not the unit. I suspect unit commissioners do not need access to Scoutbook to perform their duties as defined by BSA national.

Could you please tell us how you are registered and what your role on the district committee or unit staff is, or in a unit so we can better help you find the tools and associated training training available to help you preform you duties and responsibilities.

There are currently separate reporting systems for reporting community service, unit camping and adult training. Scoutbook is primarily a system for tracking individual advancement and was not designed to tracking unit performance.

I was not referring to an official registered position. I was referring to Scoutbook. Units have the flexibility to assign additional positions to people as needed in Scoutbook. Unit Commissioner is the only district level position available.

The COR is also a district level position. :slight_smile:

(Snarky comment, but true)

2 Likes

Doh! You’re right. Although, most people, including most CORs, see themselves as more of a unit position.

1 Like

I have to admit some confusion here. I thought that CoRs were ex oficio members of both the District Committee and the Council. Is that not the case? I only have a 2016 version of the Chartered Organization Representative Guidebook, so I’m not sure what the latest word on that role is.

1 Like

My personal opinion

Let’s fix the application, instead having an application that requires Scouters to not be truthful. Scouters are suppose to set a good example. What message are we giving our future young leaders?

They still are. See

1 Like

They are district Scouters, automatically members of the district committee, and wear silver loops per the Guide to Insignia (I think that is where it states the loops for CoRs).

1 Like

They are registered as council scouters. From Registration Guidebook (July 2019) definitions.

Council Scouter. A council Scouter is an adult volunteer leader serving as a member of the council, a council officer, a board or committee member, or a chartered organization representative.

The Annual Unit Charter Agreement, 2015

THE ANNUAL UNIT CHARTER AGREEMENT , 524-182, 2015, 2 pages, extract:

The Chartered Organization agrees to : …

• Be represented in the Local Council and the local Scouting district by a Chartered Organization Representative (COR), who will be appointed by the Chartered Organization. The COR will be the point of contact between the Chartered Organization and the Local Council; will serve as a voting member of district and council committees on which the COR serves ; and will, with the Chartered Organization, select and approve volunteer leaders for submission to the Local Council for its consideration. The COR will work with the unit committees sponsored by the Chartered Organization.

For more information see:

2 Likes

Ok, council. I guess my point was since they wear silver loops (per guide to insignia, I just confirmed), they are not unit scouters unless also CC. Technically, I don’t think they sit on the troop committee (I don’t recall my reference other than the CoR training), again unless CC or MOC also.

CORs can dual-register as Committee Chair or a Committee Member.

I always thought it a little problematic to be both the COR and the Committee Chair, since that shrinks the Key 3 to a Key 2…

1 Like

I’ve thought that too, but in reality, the COR is the key 1, regardless.

May I suggest looking at the Scoutbook marketing and training information on the Scoutbook help site starting with:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.