Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Diversity, Equality & Inclusion MB Requirements?

I know that the new DEI MB will be the 14th Eagle required MB out of the 21 required for Eagle and that it is required for any Scout after 1 May 2021, with the exception of Life Scouts that have completed their BoR before that date. Starting New Years Day it is available to earn

What we don’t know is the requirements? When will the MB Pamphlets and badges be available? We included this in our annual planning meeting and added it to the schedule but without the requirements we aren’t sure what resources we need, who would be viable MBCs, etc.

Any insights? Nothing new that I have seen on other forums for Scouters. Thanks.

Councils are supposed to get info this month. Your Life Scout statement is wrong from what I have seen. On May 1, 2021 - the only Scouts that do not need it are those who are just waiting on an EBOR - and all other reqs are done.

@DonovanMcNeil, I mis-phrased what I meant with regards to the requirement - from what I have heard so far, I thought it was required for all Scouts that had not completed their Eagle BoR by 1 May 2021. There needs to be an information campaign to address a badge that goes live in less than a month.

1 Like

I agree, but that has to come from the local Councils once they get the program information from National.

Now I will say - we all have Life Scouts that are sitting on that handful of MB requirements or the project - I had a meeting with them a month ago and told them it was changing and a new MB would have to be earned on 1/1 to get Eagle; motivation is a good thing. Many E Projects between now and Christmas are being planned. (Have not had time to mention the May 1 date yet, will get around to it. - LOL)

Last I heard the reqs are not ready. I would not expect a pamphlet before March (just from a printing timeline - unless they go digital.)

I agree. I think it needs to come out soon so that units can gather resources to properly train and teach this MB.

Just a reminder, UNITS don’t train nor teach merit badges; local Councils/Districts have the responsibility to get merit badge counselors identified and prepared to work with youth on this merit badge.

I don’t know about what’s happening in your area, but our District Advancement Team was reaching out to potential current Merit Badge Counselors a month ago about the roll out for the new badge.

1 Like

Council, through its Districts, approves the MBCs but at least in our area, most of the MBCs come from units (i.e. are uniformed Scouters/registered adults) and are leaders, parents, Committee members, etc. from that unit. Yes, the Council approves the MBCs, but the MBCs within a particular unit are the first resources tapped to teach the MB to the Troop based on the annual plan/calendar that the unit approved. So yes, the unit doesn’t teach the MB, but the MBCs that are in that unit can and do teach MBs/lead the program the unit set out.

Also the units in support of District and Council are responsible for our own training, using the resources provided by National. In our Council, the District Training Chair utilizes the leaders in the units to track and encourage training in our leaders, like MBC training or Position Specific Training.

We have a new District MB Dean and he, along with his Council MB Dean (and the other District Deans) have really fixed our broken system in the Council - most MBCs were tracked at District by a Spreadsheet and they weren’t entered into any accessible database that the Scoutmasters could request information from when a Scout wanted to start a new MB and requested a Blue Card. The recent push to ScoutBook has alleviated that problem and makes it easier to find an approved and current MBC.

Our District MB Dean has not reached out to any of the units that I am aware of to see if there are any viable candidates to tech this new MB yet. I have an RFI out to him to find out what guidance, if any, our Council has put out.

2 Likes

Scouts are the ones that need the info. Merit Badge counselors are supposed to be just that - counselors. So the prep needed by MBCs is actually very little. One could read the requirements, read the book, and then be ready to advise and console. This is very different than teaching a class and working on demos and lecture. No prep needed by the MBC. This is very different than Webelos adventures.

2 Likes

John
Thanks so much for the info.
Now my son has a date and a disincentive if he goes past the date. He’s close but needs to get his rear in gear on his project. When I told him of the date he replied “NO! They didn’t really go ahead with that?” Yes, they did. That’s motivation.

1 Like

@Matt.Johnson is correct. What @JohnBenedict is talking about is like asking the BSA to train Scouters to be pilots to counsel the Aviation Merit Badge.

1 Like

Or, your son could earn the new merit badge, and possibly learn something he finds to be of personal value…

Matt, we are a relatively young Troop so our boys aren’t running the entire program for MBs - these are facilitated and counseled by the MBCs. Either ones from our Troop leadership or from outside if it is a unique or specialized badge. Maybe train was the incorrect word but more than likely when we cover this MB as our monthly theme, unless District has counselors available, our leaders will apply through District to Council for approval to counsel this MB for our area. Unlike Camping or Cooking MB, there MAY not be as big a role for the Scouts to fill other than to learn something new and to have a different perspective.

Maybe a little more help and less snark would help. Maybe train was a bad word to use, maybe familiarity with the content was better. I use that’s forums to gain ideas for our young Troop to make the program better.

I swear, the more “Diverse and Inclusive” the Boy Scouts…Uhmm excuse me, “Scouts BSA” strives to become the more fragmented it actually is. I am glad my son is very close to finishing because I am getting tired of juggling pronouns and worrying about not offending people. I just want to camp, cook, teaches kids to become good and productive citizens. All of this other drama is wearing me out.

9 Likes

I still think there is a disconnect on how merit badges work. Scouts don’t “run a merit badge program”. The run a troop or a campout in particular. If a Scout wants to do a merit badge, it isn’t really to be done at a troop meeting. A scout decides to move forward, meets with their Scoutmaster and discuses their interest, the Scoutmaster uses this as a mini Scoutmaster conference, and then provides the scout with a counselor’s name and contact info. The Scout then, on their own, contacts the merit badge counselors and lets them know that they want to work on the badge. The scout finds a buddy (can be a parent), and meets with the counselor. They discuss what the Scout has completed or has questions on. The Scout talks about their plan to complete. The Scout goes off and works. They then meet one or 2 more times to explain, describe, show. Then done. See, very very little prep on the consolers part. This process isn’t experience or age dependent. So, the work process is very different than what seems to be implied.

2 Likes

I still think there is a disconnect on how merit badges work. Scouts don’t “run a merit badge program”. The run a troop or a campout in particular. If a Scout wants to do a merit badge, it isn’t really to be done at a troop meeting. A scout decides to move forward, meets with their Scoutmaster and discuses their interest, the Scoutmaster uses this as a mini Scoutmaster conference, and then provides the scout with a counselor’s name and contact info. The Scout then, on their own, contacts the merit badge counselors and lets them know that they want to work on the badge. The scout finds a buddy (can be a parent), and meets with the counselor. They discuss what the Scout has completed or has questions on. The Scout talks about their plan to complete. The Scout goes off and works. They then meet one or 2 more times to explain, describe, show. Then done. See, very very little prep on the consolers part. This process isn’t experience or age dependent. So, the work process is very different than what seems to be implied.

This is the Way…

Let’s see who knows where this quote came from

1 Like

This has changed. A Merit Badge Counselor may not meet with just 2 Scouts. There must now be 2 registered adults, over the age of 21 present. If the MBC is meeting with a single Scout, the Scout’s parent or guardian can replace the 2nd registered adult. Under no circumstances, can a Merit Badge Counselor meet only with Scouts.

2 Likes

Good point. Yes, it must be the parent if there are not 2 registered leaders there.

The rest of the process I lay out, is The Way, as WilliamC notes.

Matt, for most MBs the Scout seeks out a MBC after seeing the Scoutmaster to get a Blue Card of some kind. However, there is nothing that states a Troop cannot have a MB as a theme for a month or more to cover the basics of a particular MB, especially something like Camping, Cooking, First Aid, etc. Our founding SM set this program up from the beginning.

1 Like