Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Do Cub Scouts need to earn Protect Yourself Rules and the Cyber Chip?

Hello, I understand from the leader handbooks and online resources that the Cub Scouts can earn Protect Yourself Rules in place of the Cyber Chip (and then Protect Yourself Rules cannot be used as an elective). However, what I don’t understand is if they can earn Cyber Chip alone. If you choose to have the Cub Scouts earn the Cyber Chip do you still have do Protect Yourself Rules, too? Or is it one or the other? Thanks, Emmy

My understanding of the current options are:

1. Earn Cyber Chip for the relevant grade level to satisfy rank requirements. Protect Yourself may be earned as an elective adventure.

2. Earn Protect Yourself in place of Cyber Chip for requirements. Cyber Chip may also be earned as an additional award if desired.

I’m not aware of a requirement that scouts both complete the Protect Yourself adventure and earn the Cyber Chip for their grade level in order to satisfy any given rank level requirements. This would be one option, using Protect Yourself as an elective.

The requirements are shown here under the heading “Cub Scout Advancement”, by clicking through to the relevant rank requirements:

The Protect Yourself Rules Preview Adventures may be used as an elective adventure OR they may be earned in place of the Cyber Chip requirement for the Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos, and Arrow of Light badges of rank.

If used in place of the Cyber Chip requirement for a rank, it may not be used as an elective adventure for that rank.

https://www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/preview-adventures/protect-yourself-rules/

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this.

Also if Protect Yourself Rules is used for Arrow of Light rank requirement, the Scout will still need to earn Cyber Chip after crossing over to a troop to complete the Scout Rank. There is no provision in Scout Rank for an alternative to Cyber Chip.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.