Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Does the advancement chair have to be a registered leader

can we assign advancement rights in scoutbook to “just” a parent? we have a volunteer who is willing to do the online advancement work, but is not a registered scouter

@BenjaminVenable - the advancement chair is a committee position and as such would be a registered scouter who would also need to take the required training. I would suggest a search on advancement chair and guide to advancement and depending on the unit type it becomes a very important task and position.

4 Likes

@BenjaminVenable,

The answer on can you from a purely mechanical standpoint is mixed, but from a procedural standpoint is a resounding no.

In Scoutbook the administrative rights can be granted, position assigned, and the needed reports run without any registration but doing so would bypass the application and background check requirements, including YPT training and policies, for someone who will have access to all the Youth’s information. This is a very high risk thing form a liability standpoint for your Chartered Organization (who has the responsibility and liability for how the unit is operated, which is why the COR has to approve unit adult applications prior to them being submitted to Council). There are a lot of things that can be done in Scoutbook prior to (or without) the proper processed applications, like transferring in people from other units, but I belive this is to help facilitate the program functions while the paperwork catches up on the back end.

The no part of the mechanical answer comes in for the My.Scouting/Scoutnet and Internet Advancement side as these functions are controlled by the user registration and permissions in the My.Scoutin/Scoutnet database. In addition to being registered as the Advancement Chair the rolls including Key-3 Delegate need to be assigned through My.Scouting to be able to approve in IA.

The correct program answer is a No, all positions require registration.

1 Like

That’s true for Scoutbook, but you can’t assign anyone as the advancement chair in my.scouting.org (so they can, ya know do the advancement chair job) unless they’re an approved, registered leader.

2 Likes

Another question that needs to be asked… What reason is there preventing the parent from registering? I can’t think of one that I’d accept as a COR.

2 Likes

It’$ po$$ible that there’$ another rea$on.

1 Like

The Advancement Chair has access to a lot of PII. Full names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, etc. of youth and adults. You really need to get this person registered, YPT trained, approved by the COR, and have the criminal background check completed.

3 Likes

@Qwazse - n@# @#… no w@$

Like I said, not a reason I’d accept as COR.

2 Likes

To be honest this is how I got back involved in scouting. My son was a tiger and we had a pack planning event and the committee chair noted that I was computer literate… we at the very least I had helped build the pyramids… and I became Advancement Chair for the pack… now 3200 years later… here I am still advancement chair. Anyone who hesitates on officially filling the role I would take off to side and have an honest discussion.

3 Likes

Sorry; I didn’t give the complete context. One spouse is an ASM; the other is offering to be the Adv. Chair. They can’t afford to reg both of them this year (and neither can the troop - we’re in a “rebuilding phase”). So, we’re trying to decide if it’s more important to reg the ASM (we don’t have many), or her for the Adv Chair. We’ll figure something out - thanks for the replies!

@BenjaminVenable - regardless of what you may think is best now that you state that this is a troop, there is no real choice. The advancement chair fills a very important role in the life of the troop. Financial considerations should not be the guideline for the progress of the scouts. If it is that bad I will be willing to pay the registration fee.

3 Likes

Still would not make the spouse the advancement chair without having them registered with the BSA as a committee member. Also, you need to clear this with your COR – they may also have rules about training for people given access to youths’ personal information as well.

1 Like

So will I. Scouts need registered Leaders.

3 Likes

@JasonCostarakis - deal…you and I have this…

2 Likes

You guys are awesome. We’ll get 'em both covered; just was exploring options. I very much appreciate both your knowledge and your enthusiasm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.