Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Does the BSA really support survivors or just their own interests? I honestly can't find a straight answer

Full disclosure here, I am a more recent survivor (Summer 2019) when I served in staff camp. I reported to my camp director who had already written me up for being a little too pro-Trump. I’m not sure what happened but apparently they ended up making an attachment of sorts to that for speaking about my incident. Never saw this attachment, but okay. After firing my perpetrator, the camp invited him back another week as a camper and I HAD TO TEACH HIM. I basically kept far, far away after the first incident. My camp director never bothered reporting to the Scout Executive or the Scouts 1st helpline and at the time I was still processing things (took about a month). My camp director was later terminated after he ignored National’s advice to stop ATV drive-by paintball and someone ended up getting injured in an accident. I ended up having to go to my senior religion teacher who had high council connections to get it properly reported sometime last September/October and I emailed National who wanted to speak with me on the phone (at this point I declined because I retained an attorney, but I gave a full written account and they thanked me and that was it). Later on I received a proof of claim in the mail, the only one addressed to my house because by court order they had to do that for those whom reported. On August 31 they released their new TV ad which I admit was sensitive to survivors, but then just today the Debtor’s counsel basically said that without counsel, your claim is going to have a hard time getting a fair chance in the post-confirmation validity process. I retained counsel back in February and while I admit some ads are overblown, the BSA trying to kill ads is largely unprecedented and shows that they really want people to go pro se, submit to a deposition without counsel and kiss their claim goodbye.

That’s just my take. For the most part, I love Scouting and I’m super active in my volunteering. However, this incident destroyed about a whole year of my life beyond the impact everyone else is feeling with COVID-19. I usually am quite impressed with the BSA’s objectives for youth, but biased as I may be on this issue I feel that there is an inherent weakness where BSA doesn’t like to publicize this issue at all. If that means silencing survivors then so be it.

I’m interested to hear all of your opinions on the matter.

First of all, thank you for surviving.
Secondly, your CD did not care. No reason to make it any more complicated than that. The day you (or anyone trying to help you) reported your abuse the police should have been notified immediately, followed by your SE.
Would that have made it better for you? I don’t know. But I’d like to think that in some way knowing that folks you work for are following their training would be of some comfort.

1 Like

It probably wouldn’t have changed anything where the damage was already done to me and a number of other staffers, no. But I definitely would have felt more supported and being in a camp 100 miles away from home and miles away from the police I think for whatever reason I thought that I needed to report to BSA first and they’d take action and report appropriately.

I guess I thought wrong. Thank you for your kind words.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.