Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Dog Care MB for Siblings

Hi everyone,

We just got a new puppy at home. All three of my sons (1st class and twin Scouts) want to work on the Dog Care Merit Badge.

Requirement 4 states “For two months, keep and care for your dog.* Maintain a log of your activities during this period that includes these items: feeding schedule, types of food used, amount fed, exercise periods, training schedule, a weekly body weight record,
grooming and bathing schedules, veterinary care, if necessary, and costs. Also include a brief description of the type of housing/shelter arrangements you have for your dog.”

In your opinions, can all three of my boys work on this requirement at the same time, given that it’s the same dog? Or should they do 2 months each, one after the other?

@MichaelCurtis - that does present an interesting scenario. My first inclination is for them to consult with the merit badge counselor. Certainly it is not as if either of them are going anywhere (the pup or it’s human attendents) so care will fall to someone. Might I ask what breed? We adopted a rescue dog two years ago that we were told was part German shorthaired pointer/lab. We did a genetic test and found we have a 63% bluetick coonhound. So we have a hound not a dog. Hounds are always hounds.

This is a great chance for each of the Scouts (not mom or dad) to contact the MBC and discuss the situation. They will the counsel them. . :slight_smile:

He is a rat terrier. We had a few ratties in the past - both lived to 17 years old - but they both passed away in 2017, so it was time to get the boys a new pup.

Thanks, I will have them reach out to a counselor. I was just hoping maybe someone on here had a more definitive answer, so I could brace the younger boys if they had to wait their turn to work on that part of the badge.

1 Like

Michael,

Since the requirements do not state one way or the other, it is up to the discretion of the Scout’s Merit Badge Counselor if working together is acceptable. This is why you were not able to get a definitive answer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.