BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Dual troop registrations

They should only have access to info for that one scout. Are you seeing otherwise?

Regarding the scout, I’d be sure your SM and their SM have an agreement about who will sign off on requirements and under what circumstances. And also agree on who will buy the awards (and hence put them on a PO). Otherwise, you’re setting yourself up for a lot of confusion.

It is only for that 1 scout.

That’s what my prior comment assumes

The current rules per the REGISTRATION GUIDEBOOK OF THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA (100-092, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, July 2019) are:

Definitions, extracts

• Adult. Unless otherwise stated, the word “adult” refers to a person 18 years of age or older.
  • Adult program participant. An adult program participant is any person 18 but not yet 21 years of age who registers to participate in a program in which youth members also participate; obligates himself or herself to regularly attend the meetings; fulfills a member’s obligation to the unit; subscribes to the Scout Oath; and participates in an approved program based on the current guide-lines of the Boy Scouts of America. Adult program participants are subject to the same guidelines as adult Scouters when required by policies and guidelines
  • Member. Unless otherwise stated, a “member” is a youth member and, in context, an adult program participant
  • Participant. Unless otherwise stated, a “participant” is a youth participant or, in context, an adult program participant.
  • Unit. An organized group of adult volunteers and youth members. Every unit is chartered to a community organization for the purpose of delivering the Scouting program.
  • Youth. “Youth” generally means a youth member or adult program participant registered in a program.
  • Youth leader. A youth leader is a youth member or adult program participant occupying a position of responsibility for leadership development purposes.
  • Youth members. A youth member is a youth under 18 years of age who, with the approval of a parent or guardian, becomes a member of a unit; obligates himself or herself to regularly attend the meetings; fulfills a member’s obligation to the unit; subscribes to the Scout Oath; and participates in an appropriate program based on the current guidelines of the Boy Scouts of America.
  • Youth programs. A youth program is any program serving youth members and adult program participants.Multiple Registration (p. 14)

Basic Rules of Registration (page 8, extracts)

• The National Council sets the fees and registration requirements.
  • All membership is voluntary.
  • All leaders and youth members must meet membership standards and registration requirements.
  • All leaders and youth members register with the Boy Scouts of America National Council and not with their local councils.
  • There are separate and distinct Scouting programs, each with their own registration qualifications.
  • Scouting happens through local community groups called chartered organizations.
  • Every unit is chartered to a community organization.
  • Chartered organizations are responsible for the selection and approval of all adult leaders and youth members registered in their unit.
  • The Boy Scouts of America reserves the right for final approval of all registration applications as well as revocation of any registration.
  • Local councils serve a specific geographic territory, and only chartered organizations located within that boundary can be served by
    the corresponding council

• The official BSA application, paper or online, must be used for registering all youth and adult program participants unless the youth or adult program participant’s registration is a council or third-party paid membership. See page 27 for Council or Third-Party Paid Membership.

• Youth registered in Scouting units should participate on an ongoing basis and not for a onetime event or activity.
  • Youth registered in Scouting units should receive a program that offers several, if not all, of the standard methods of Scouting.
  • No youth should be registered in a unit without the knowledge or consent of their parent(s) or guardian.
  • All BSA applicants should be registered immediately after their applications and fees are received by the council.

SCOUTS BSA PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Youth Membership Requirements (page 12)

• Age—11 to 17
  • Grade—Completed the fifth grade and be at least 10 years old, or be age 11, or have earned the Arrow of Light Award and be at least 10 years old, but have not reached age 18
  • Gender—Male and female
  • Transfers allowed?—Yes
  • Multiple registrations allowed?—Yes
  • Registration fee for 12 months—(membership fee omitted from this post)
  • Boys’ Life subscription for 12 months—(fee omitted from this post)
    Arrow of Light Award: The requirements for the Arrow of Light Award state that a youth must be active in a Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old) and earn the Webelos badge. The requirement means that a Webelos Scout may not earn the Arrow of Light Award as a fourth-grader unless that youth is at least 10½ years old.

NOTE: Rules for multi-registration in which units may be different.

FEES, extracts
Multiple Registrations
Individuals who are registered with the BSA may multiple register in another BSA unit or non-unit position by completing a new BSA youth or adult application.

If a Scouter serves in more than one capacity or a youth participates in more than one unit, only one registration fee is required. Youth and adults should pay a fee in only one position per year in traditional programs and be considered multiple in any other position in which they serve.

Youth and adults can multiple across councils.

A multiple registration is not counted in membership totals. Only the registration where the fee is paid is counted in membership totals.

An adult under the age of 21 that is participating in a youth program (Venturing or Sea Scouting) can multiple register as an adult in a troop as an assistant Scoutmaster.

There are no restrictions on the number of positions one person may hold as long as the individual serves in only one position per unit with the exception of the chartered organization representative (CR), who is the only individual that can be registered in more than one position within the same unit. The CR may also serve in a multiple capacity as the committee chair (CC) or as a member of the committee (MC, > NM, or PT) within that unit.

Transfer Registrations
Individuals (both youth and adult) with a current unexpired paid BSA registration can transfer their registration to any other BSA unit, district, or council position at no charge by completing a new application. This includes transferring from one council to another.

A transferred registration is considered a paid registration and is included in membership totals.

Councils should use the transfer registrant feature in the BSA membership system to ensure that the registration is not duplicated and included twice in membership totals.

Change of Position
An adult changing from one position to another, even within the same unit, must complete a new BSA adult application which must be signed and approved by the institutional head (IH) or chartered organization representative (CR), except at charter renewal time.

A youth changing to an adult position in the same unit must complete an adult application and the CBC authorization form, and take Youth Protection training

1 Like

I still don’t feel the multiple membership rules are exactly clear but it would seem if an adult can be in multiple units within a council, a Scout would be allowed the same.

I would think a ‘scout like agreement’ between units would be the answer. The registration rules for multiples state:

“A multiple registration is not counted in membership totals. Only the registration where the fee is paid is counted in membership totals.”

So if this is where a youth is counted in JTE, then it would make sense this would be the unit to approve and award the rank, etc. Perhaps councils could encourage this practice.

The official position of the BSA is that the all scouts (and adults), have a single primary unit. The primary unit is responsible for advancement tracking and approval process. (For ranks First Class and below the primary SM decides who may sign off on requirements.

I have no idea what the programming of ScoutBook is. I would think that only the primary unit could control who can mark what level of advancement. As a software developer I wouldn’t count on that being the case. Edge cases are hard and abundant.

Scoutbook allows full control of the scout for both primary unit and 2nd unit. So if the SM for the 2nd troop approves a rank, award etc. The primary troop MS wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.

I am not surprised, and won’t bash ScoutBook for what it does in that regards. First, ScoutBook was not initially designed to track every scout in the BSA. So all of this type of thing is a retrofit. And getting every detail just right is tough.

Not entirely… Other than the Eagle rank, I believe that any leader with the appropriate permissions in either unit could change the approvals.

Does anyone know if a troop has to accept a dual registered scout?

Some Basic Registration Rules

I believe the following basic registration rules (July 2019) apply:

• Chartered organizations are responsible for the selection and approval of all adult leaders and youth members registered in their unit.
  • The Boy Scouts of America reserves the right for final approval of all registration applications as well as revocation of any registration.
  • Youth registered in Scouting units should participate on an ongoing basis and not for a onetime event or activity

Personal note

When I was a Scout in the 1960s I was associated with more than one unit, in two different countries. One for the school year and one for the summer.

Well, that wouldn’t be very Scout-like, would it?

We have a couple of Scouts from other units that camp with us from time to time, either because of schedule availability, or programming. If either of them wanted to dual-register with us, we’d be happy to have them, if it didn’t cause any heartburn with their other units.

I suppose you wouldn’t - but your District membership chair would not like it from a numbers standpoint probably if they got wind of it

I don’t think they’d care. A dual registered scout only counts once, and only pays a single membership fee.

I could see reasons not to accept them if you have a conversation and it seems like they are trying to pull off something shady with their advancement, but I’d find that highly unlikely.

My council does not allow dual registered scouts in multiple troops. I think it becomes an administrative headache for them. In reality, it doesn’t really matter. Once a scout is registered in one unit, they are covered by insurance for all scouting events, even with other units. So, any advancement they complete with the non-registered unit would just go back to the primary unit, anyway.

It depends upon what view of the data we are taking (and what tool we are using to look at the data.) For JTE district reports I believe youth are normally only counted once at the district level.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.