Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Due to COVID-19, my Council is suspending face-to-face Scout meetings, activities, events and trips until further notice

How will councils and districts continue to operate without fund raisers, recruiting events, income from summer camps/outdoor training events?

It appears that my council (GSLAC) is wanting to avoid insurance claims when they say “Leaders should avoid liability related to conducting unauthorized Scouting activities”

All outdoor scouting events have risks from snakes, scorpions, spiders, insects, and poison plants. We teach our scouts proper identification, avoidance, and treatments for encounters with these. COVID-19 is no different and we should learn to deal with it without hamstringing the Scout programs.

It would be better if GSLAC required a specific covid19 release of liability from all participants and provide training to ameliorate the risks.

Do our best and remove the suspensions and get on with Scouting.
What say you?

PS.
Missouri state hiking trails and conservation areas have been open since April.

Missouri state park campgrounds opening
https://mostateparks.com/response

1 Like

Did your council just do this? We have been without face to face meetings since March. Ours will continue until July 5th. As this whole situation is unknown, it seems reasonable to me.

We have continued to meet virtually each week with boards of review, Scoutmaster conferences, and meetings.

Is it sad? Yes. Is it inconvenient? Yes. Is it the safe thing to do? Yes.

3 Likes

Same here in SE Michigan. No face-to-face meetings permitted, so we’ve been meeting via Zoom since late March

GSLAC in letter May 1st set a May 11th date for opening.
GSLAC in letter of May 12 canceled all summer camps and outdoor training events.
GSLAC in letter of May 16 continued the suspension until further notice

We are curious! Let us know if your council has removed the suspension of face to face meetings?

Northern Star Council is permitting gathers of no more than 10 people, including at least 2 registered leaders over the age of 21. This follows the latest MN order. WI has a less restrictive order but the Council is using the same policy for both MN and WI for consistency. Social distancing guidelines must be followed, families are asked not to carpool to any events and to screen for symptoms before and after the event.

They still hope to open camps this summer and are working to prepare them.

For those of us in NY,NJ,PA area things are still following a no in-person meeting protocol. As someone in several risk groups (COPD,HBP and cancer) I do not want to take to many risks. When they ease the restrictions we will comply with the directives.

1 Like

We are curious! Let us know if your council has removed the suspension of face to face meetings?

Simon Kenton Council in Ohio is following the governor’s orders exactly. That means no face-to-face at the moment. But we are hopeful that will open up next month. Camps are still planning to go forward with lots of modifications. One is that non-family members cannot share a tent. Also, I suspect there will be limits on how many and possibly who can be in a program area at the same time. I suspect there will also be modifications to meals… likely to be served in the campsite.

The state of Wisconsin may have eliminated the restrictions but I’m not aware of any other councils easing restrictions on meeting in person yet . Bay Lakes Council and Samoset Council are planning on opening camps starting July 5th with a very modified structure. Our week at camp has been eliminated and we will most likely not try to reschedule. Parents keep asking about alternative events for the week of camp but until we get the all clear to meet again, there isn’t much that we can plan for except virtual or uncoordinated events.

We played patrol jeopardy last night - tons of fun

https://jeopardylabs.com/play/first-aid-713

https://jeopardylabs.com/play/boy-scouts-86