Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Eagle Board of Review Scheduling

I would like to know from members who may know, on average, how long it should take to get an Eagle Board of Review scheduled after requested?

Totally depends on District - here with alot of troops and them running 2 boards at same time and 3-4 scouts for each Board - it is not uncommon to wait 2-3 months

2 Likes

We have one who was ready at the end of last August, as far as I can tell, and is just now coming up for his EBoR this month, largely due to backlog in processing/reviewing candidates’ paperwork. @DonovanMcNeil’s estimate is closer to the usual in my experience.

2 Likes

My Council has been holding them within 2 weeks of requests.

1 Like

Thank you. So the District takes at least 2 months to review paperwork, and then National takes at least that I am sure to do the same thing with both probably taking longer due to the pandemic. It does take the wind out of a Scout’s sails, especially one who just turned 18 and has spent 11 years in Scouting.

The Council review of app takes about 5 mins top - unless issues are hit - it is very automated. National reviews nothing

1 Like

Thank you. That is more or less what I expected. 2-3 months seems excessive.

1 Like

I don’t know, to be honest, how long each piece is taking. It may just be a matter of backlogs in getting to the scouts.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks Donovan. We have two Scouts who have waited over a year after their EBOR waiting for confirmation.

That sounds like a somewhat different question. The first seems focused on how long it takes to get to the EBoR from the “application” stage. This seems more like a question regarding how long after the EBoR is conducted to get the rank approved. Has your council had any comments on that issue?

Your are right Charley, yes, the one question lead to the other. I just wanted to find out what is “normal” for scheduling EBORs, and the confirmation after as well.

Last EBOR we had Eagle Certificate within 4 weeks
I would talk to council

2 Likes

have you seen the Eagle APPROVE in Scoutbook?

Yes but it was marked by me as Scoutmaster when they successfully completed their EBOR.

@DanielBreedon you cannot mark it APPROVED - you can mark it complete - see if it is approved - the certificate might be sitting at your council office

NOTE: that is why I never even complete an Eagle - that way I know when Council approves it cause it shows up in Scoutbook

1 Like

I will check, their parents have been checking in with the District Office to no avail. Concerning the EBOR scheduling delay, I first contacted the District Scout Executive. Based upon the input received from you and others I will check in w him again.

Ours once we turn the paper work in it takes a few days for coucil to send out for the reference to respond they wait two weeks if no response they ask the scout to contact there reference to ask them to respond. Then it goes to district advancement it used to be bof at round table now due to covid it’s taking longer to either set up in person or via zoom. Our last one took 2 months

1 Like

@CraigVoss District needs to read GTA - References are their responsibility not the Scouts. I believe they are in violation or a grey area.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t word it right, I went and reread from last Eagle Scout, now I am thinking if no response the coucil will ask the scout if correct name and address were given.