Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Eagle Palm Question

Is there a limit to the number of Palms that can be given?

I have a scout who will be having his Eagle BOR pretty soon. Over his time as a scout, he has earned 118 merit badges. Subtracting 21 merit badges for Eagle =97 badges. Am I really supposed to give him 19 Palms?

Also, if I do give him 19, where should he put all these on his uniform.

Yes, I do not think you will be able to enter them. I believe once the scout has his Eagle approved by National, his Eagle Palms also show up in the system. If they do not, then you will need to contact your Council Registrar. The registrar will be able to make sure they are on his record.

1 Like

As for wearing them, you have three options:

1. On the Eagle Scout square knot, which is worn by adult Scouters.
  2. Attached to the ribbon of the Eagle Scout medal, which is worn on special occasions by youth and adults.
  3. On the Eagle Scout rank emblem (patch), which is sewn on the youth field uniform.

As to do you give all of them, YES you do. They earned them they get them.

For more details on palms go to The way Scouts earn Eagle Palms is about to change

You will need to wait the approx 4 to 8 weeks until the Eagle Scout is processed before they can entered into Scoutbook. If you have any questions please call me at 804-537-2702. I can help you.

1 Like

I would recommend talking to your council. In my council, units are responsible for entering Eagle Palms after the Eagle Scout rank has been approved.

There is a chart at the bottom of this article that shows the proper combination of Eagle Palms that a Scout should wear.

Bryan on Scouting: The way Scouts earn Eagle Palms has changed in a big way

If the Scout has earned 118 total merit badges prior to his Eagle Scout board of review, then he would wear 6 silver Palms and 1 bronze Palm. (Each silver Palm represents 15 merit badges, and each bronze Palm represents 5 merit badges).

2 Likes

He has earned 1 bronze and 6 silver palms. There is a chart on this page that will help:

1 Like

The 1 bronze and 6 silver palms are placed on the Eagle medal ribbon if the Scout wishes to wear them.

1 Like

That make more sense. I did not know that there were combinations of Eagle Palms because I have never had a scout earn any before. Thank you for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.