BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Emergency Preparedness Award

I’m trying to get a firm grasp of what is required of a Bear to earn the Emergency Preparedness Award. One Bear requirement states:

Organize a safe kids program such as the McGruff Child Identification program. Put on a training program for your family or den on stranger awareness, Internet safety, or safety at home.”

While the corresponding Wolf requirement says:

Join a safe kids program such as the McGruff Child Identification program. Put on a training program for your family or den on stranger awareness, Internet safety, or safety at home.”

There must be some reason for the wording change between ranks. I can understand what “joining” the program would entail (using the Scruff McGruff books and following the directions inside to keep yourself safe), but anything I can imagine “organizing” a child safety program to be is outside the realm of what a third grader could accomplish.

What exactly are they asking the Bear does?

I always understood it to mean organizing the “fingerprinting event” either for your pack or for another group. Figure out how many kits you need, how much it will cost. That’s totally within the capabilities of a third grader. My daughter (just finished first grade) planned the party favors for her last birthday party based on the budget my wife gave her. The bears could even organize one for the wolf den…two birds. :wink:

http://www.mcgruff-safe-kids.com/shop/mcgruff-safe-kids-id-kit-boy-scouts-of-america/

1 Like

That makes sense, and yes, doable for the Bears. I guess I was imagining reinventing the whole program, like instead of using the Scruff McGriff booklets, like they’d have to make their own ideas. Just me making things more difficult than it needs to be :wink:
Thanks

I agree with having them “lead” what is done more. For wolves I planned a lot. Had the school nurse teach all sorts of first aid and help them make first aid kits. Got everything together to do the finger print mcgruff kits. etc… For bears I may read them the rules and ask them to plan how to execute it at a meeting and help walk younger scouts through it. Though this one didn’t get much interest for us last year. We had a lot of people no show since it wasn’t a required adventure. So I may have to get creative if it’s just my two little super achievers that want to do it. Maybe they can get the little kids interested.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.