BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

External Patch Programs : National Parks, Museums, etc

This is our 2nd year in Scouts. I have done all the online training for Tiger Den Leader, and any training I can to educate myself to “do my best”. I haven’t been able to find one centralized link, page, etc. that list’s external patch programs available for Scouts. I don’t mind doing the legwork to bring the best program to my boys and make it interesting but I don’t want to duplicate if it’s somewhere out there. If it’s NOT, I would love to create a Facebook page to share all the information so it’s easily accessible to everyone. National Parks have the Junior Ranger Program the boys can do when they go, but a lot also have a Patch Program. Museums, amusement parks, etc also offer it along with special Scout Days. We travel a lot so I’m researching everywhere not just here in SC. Can anyone advise me if they know of any links/sites etc? If not I’ll start a page and share and let me know of any parks, museums, etc in your area that offer this. THANKS

1 Like

The National Park Service has partnered with the BSA and now has an award for Scouts in packs (Cub Scouts) and troops (Scouts BSA):

National Park Service
Scout Ranger Program: The Resource Stewardship Scout Ranger
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/youthprograms/scout-ranger.htm

This program is separate from the NPS Junior Ranger program.

2 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: that is what I am talking about. Some of the National Sites have separate Patch Programs in addition to the JR Ranger, and The Resource Stewardship Scout Ranger.

There are tons of additional opportunities for the boys. I’m just not seeing a centralized site or links on council or national to educate on those opportunities, unless someone can direct me.

SC: Cowpens National Battlefield, Ninety Six Nat Historic Site, etc plus Riverbanks Zoo, Roper Mountain Science Center, etc.

TN: Dollywood, Shiloh Nat Military Park etc.

RE: The Resource Stewardship Scout Ranger program, the NPS site has a list of the National Park/Monument locations. The Scout Ranger is a program for BSA and GSA. Five hours will earn the Scout a Certificate. Ten hours will earn the Scout a patch. Hours can be accumulated either by attending ranger led programs or by performing service projects. The Service projects need to be coordinated with/approved by the Park.

This is an email I received from the NPS regarding the program:

Greetings!
We are delighted that your family will be visiting Grand Canyon National Park soon. You are correct that hours can be accumulated by attending Ranger led programs. By the time of your visit, we will be on a Winter schedule with just two programs a day. I might suggest that if you stop along the way to Grand Canyon at other national parks or monuments, you may obtain signatures at these places as well for the requirements. Service projects take some time and would need to be approved prior to coming to the park by our Volunteer Resource Program Coordinator.

1 Like

I was pointed in the correct direction from another member. As a new leader I appreciate any information and direction I can get. For future use for everyone here is the link to the information on BSA website.

https://tap.scouting.org/HISTORIC-TRAILS/

There are more not listed on here also though. :slight_smile:

To clarify for others, the BSA Historic Trails Award is separate and distinct from the NPS [Resource Stewardship] Scout Ranger Award. An index of National Parks can be found on this link: https://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm

1 Like

I am compiling an Excel spreadsheet. It’s a work in progress.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.