BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Girl Troops At Summer Camp 2019

This was the first year of experiencing Girl Troops at summer camp and I must say it was rather non-eventful in a good way. No major drama that I heard of and everyone seem to get along very well.

Most camps have some form of a new scout program to get them to Tenderfoot Rank and on their way to Second Class/First Class and I spent some time observing the interaction. These girls were dialed in! They were much more focused and responsive to direction than the boys.

It appears they had a good time by weeks end with the final campfire program. These young ladies will go back and tell their friends how much fun they had and that’s where the recruiting will take off.

4 Likes

Glad you saw some smiles out there!
I’ve been hearing of some bumps, but mostly enthusiasm.
Early in your fall program, make a point of talking to your scouts (girls or boys) about the recruiter strip and its importance.

Just so we as scouters are prepared, as girl troops are successful in growing, we’ll get a broader swath of youth and those trail to first class programs will start to enroll as many female scatterbrains as male. The ladies you’ve seen might be sharp, but their friends … not so much. That will be a good problem to have because, until then, the older girls aren’t really developing leadership with only “high intensity” scouts in their patrols.

2 Likes

We have a new girl and a new boy troop and both traveled to Camp Geiger together for summer camp last week. We went out of council due to the inability to have our boy and girl troops attend camp together at Bartle. As one of the first ever girl troops to do summer camp at Geiger, I was very impressed by how welcome we were made to feel and the willingness of the staff there to allow our boy and girl troops to share the same camp site, and to allow both boys and girls to fully participate in all activities together. No “separate but equal” BS that HOAC and Bartle staff are hung up on. Our girls were not restricted and quarantined to a separate area of the camp and were able to be everywhere at camp. There were zero problems. Food was great and they offered third servings at every meal. They offer more merit badge programs than Bartle and they have a very good Trails to First Class program that helped our scouts make significant progress on rank advancements. Their recently renovated and updated shooting ranges are top notch. The schedule really focuses on merit badge classes and as a result most of our scouts completed at least 4 merit badges at camp, with some completing more than 4. Flush toilets and showers in the shelter at each camp site meant no stinky, nasty latrines and no gang shower issues. Mic O Say activities did not dominate the schedule and tribal activities were of high quality. Very impressed by the warrior ceremony. Much more intimate and meaningful. Lots of hilly, forest trails meant a lot of walking, but it was great to be out in nature in such a scenic setting. Our scouts loved their Camp Geiger experience so much that two of our girls are going back next week for another week of camp, at half price. Several of our girls were strongly encouraged by camp leadership to apply for staff positions for next summer. After our experience at Camp Geiger, we are questioning why we would ever consider going to Bartle for summer camp.

4 Likes

Thank you for your review of geiger. Some of my scouts really want to do the mic o sa program but bartle doesnt sound all that great, especially for a female unit

1 Like

We took our Girl Troop to Camp Whitsett in the Sierras. They had an amazing time there. I would highly recommend their program. They were very welcoming of our girls and we had full access to everything at all times. We climbed Sentinel Peak, completed a ton of merit badges, camped out under the stars, did some whitewater rafting, and saw some giant sequoias. The food was great and the staff was amazing. Take your troops there - you won’t regret it!

2 Likes

The majority of the experience was positive. The only bump in the road came from a question about attire. One of my boys asked why the girls were allowed to wear racing shorts (ie short-shorts) while the boys had to wear hiking shorts. (One young lady wore a pair of ‘daisy dukes’ to campfire the first night but I didn’t see them any more after that) The lady Scoutmaster wearing a green mini skirt at flag retreat raised a few eye brows as well. I’m presuming some of the ‘rumbles’ reached the staff and the question was addressed. All I could tell my scout was not to worry about what others were doing. Aside from that the girls did very well. Like everything else, new things take some time to get ironed out.

1 Like

In my OP I said there was no major drama which is true. John’s comments helped to remind me that we did have a few similar dress code issues with a few girls wearing short-shorts that was noted. I didn’t mention it because it was a day one thing that was handled from what I could tell. Of course very few scouts wear their uniform 100% in compliance.

1 Like

Interesting. Where i was, i saw the women and girl questioned about their clothing which was way less revealing than that worn by the boys/men of several units. The camp in questuon had no printed dress code, they seemed to make it up as they went along.

We had an overall positive experience at PIPSICO in Virginia. The only problems we had were about the use of the bathroom facilities. Even though the shower house/toilets had single use stalls with locking doors, a few scoutmasters thought the building was for only male scouts. Even after clarification, they continued to send our girls away from the shower house. The only facility those few scoutmasters deemed appropriate for showering and toilets for the girls was the pool shower house 100 yards away from camp! Other than that, the boys and camp staff were very accepting. We expected road bumps the first year, but if this is the only complaint, then I think we have a nice solid base for future summer camps.

1 Like

Again I have to presume that staff addressed the question about the attire. I only mention the shorts thing because they were present all week. (Not the daisy dukes just the racing shorts). I don’t know how far away they came from, my presumption being that nobody wanted the girls to be sent home over the single issue. It wasn’t a big problem, simply an issue of standards.

1 Like

The issue we saw was of standarda too… double standards. Boys in gym short and nobody saying boo and girls in longer length shorts being told that the shorts needed to be longer than the girl’s finger tip (no published dress code of course). Boys wore wife beaters with the sides cut out without issue but girls in tasteful tanks were called out (again, conveniently no published dress code). These double standards open a camp and a council up to discrimination suits. Double standards are not acceptable.

Our Troop is comprised of 9 females and attended Camp with the Troop as a whole at Camp Mattatuck sharing a site with separate bathrooms. Our females shared a bathroom just outside our site with our neighboring campsite’s females. We had no attire issues nor any separation with attending Merit Badge Sessions or time spent during Open activies. Our Troop Scoutmaster and adult leaders of the boy troop have embraced girls joining BSA. with recruitment tools and advertising.
Camp staff were very welcoming and advocates for females being part of BSA. The director of Camp could not have been more open to any of our requests which was really just 2 one of which that we use more than the daily standard issue of tp LOL!!
Other Scoutmasters of other towns took note of our Troop as well as other females in other troops and shared how they were impressed as they self admitted to being old schoolers but have evolved. Every Scout had a fantastic time without any hiccups. It was just as like this had always been this way.
Let’s face it… all other co- ed summer camps either day campers or residential are not segregated by gender during activities and don’t make a big fuss. I truly believe BSA will get there too.
All in all Scouting has been an amazing opportunity for my daughter as well as myself as a newly joined Troop Committee member!

1 Like

Our summer camp will be in 3 weeks but at our last camporee the girls outperformed the boys in several events. WELCOME LADIES.

1 Like

That’s why written dress codes are everybody’s friend… Nobody can claim ignorance or single people out that are compliant with the published expectations.

3 Likes

What camp did you go to @kevinwindisch? It sounds like one I don’t want to attend.

After the OA call out ceremony had 10 staffers in just loin cloths, our girls were very clear “no more comments on what we can or can’t wear, obviously it is ok to wear near nothing”. I had to agree with them.

2 Likes

OK, so I thought that (i.e. just loin cloths) had been shot down by OA nationally years ago…That said, I agree with your scouts. One set of standards, consistently enforced.

4 Likes

Our girl Troop had 11 girls go to Camp Rock Enon. The staff was fantastic in making sure the girls felt welcome. I made it clear about attire before we left and it’s the same standards for the boys except for bathing suits. We had 1 issue with a couple boys from another Troop and the staff handled it immediately. If it wasnt for bad weather on outpost night the girls would have come back with every merit badge completed. They are definitely more motivated

Resica Falls SR seemed to do a good job. We are on all-boy troop, but the boys did not seem impacted by the girls one way or another, and the girls seemed fully involved in all aspects of camp. The one issue I saw is the one issue the Camp is addressing for next year: a need for more individual showers and bathrooms. At the pool, there is a boys locker room with lots of showers, and then 5 individual showers/bathrooms (for use by females Scouts, and male and female Souters) and finally, a small men’s locker room. So the girls had to wait longer than the boys for showers. But that should be evened out for next summer.

We love Camp Gieger! We travel 489 miles to get there and it’s worth it!
We just got back from Session 6. This was our 24th year at Camp Geiger with our boys and we were absolutely impressed with the way our girl troop was accepted! We were able to share our site and dining hall tables. Everything went smoothly and everyone had a wonderful time.