BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Girl troops at summer camp

Haven’t seen anything about this yet. Are camps doing girls only weeks, are split troops going same week and 1 or 2 sites???

1 Like

I believe it depends upon the camp. My daughter’s female troop will be sharing a single site with my son’s make troop. There is already a male and a female latrine at each site.

1 Like

Cool that sounds reasonable. Our troop hadn’t started a female version yet though there are sisters that are trying to recruit friends.
Just curious how it was working.

Our council is mixing boys and girls during the weeks at camp. I don’t foresee a problem as girls have been there before (Venturing)

1 Like

Our camp in Iowa our two troops will be going same time and same camp sight. Bathrooms at each camp sight. We were use buddy system and probably some type of restroom in use system. ( showers there are two pool house and second seprate shower. Have not heard from camp how they are going to do this (differnt times) we will be the only linked troop there.

1 Like

Camp Fleischmann, North of Chester, CA, has invited Girl Troops to attend any week. We have some Girl Troops that are going at the same time as the linked Boy Troop is.

2 Likes

I have no information to share.

Really more of a what’s happening out there, hadn’t heard anything.

I would imagine that, girls have been in the High Adventure programs since 1971, and having been going to camp as campers and counsellors, including Adult Leaders, it’s probably not being talked about at this time.

I could be wrong.

1 Like

Been out of scouting since 1984, yes parts were coed, but never at camp.( Was Staff 78-84,) so was just curious how they we’re implementing the female scout troops. And if anyone had any complaints / concerns.

At Camp Maple Dell, near Payson, UT, in 1989 I was at camp with my Troop as an 11yo.

I do not remember if she was a Venturer or Staff, but she was there.

I am taking 6 girls to camp Phillips WI in two weeks. There will be two female Assistant Scoutmaster. and two males, the Scoutmaster, and myself committee chair. We will have a separate camp site on our own

@TimothyDolan Council wanted to put us in the same campsite as our boys troop since we’re going the same week, but we requested a separate campsite just for girls, and Council kindly granted our request. We’re going on a week that isn’t full, so I’m not sure if that would have been possible otherwise, but I know being in our own campsite has set a few parent’s minds at ease.

1 Like

I think it’s inevitable should there be a significant growth in girl troops that a time will come when such accommodations may not be available. I see a time in the near future where things will be allowed to go coed on a troop-by-troop basis. I’m not overly worried when that time comes because we send our kids to school all day unless you are in an all-boy or all-girl school or perhaps home schooled, these kids are associating with each other all day and are fraternizing on social media anyway. At least with the BSA I would like to think there some adult supervision to teach boys and girls how to properly treat each other.

3 Likes

Personally, given the success of Venturing, Sea Scouts and Exploring, I’m rather surprised that chartering orgs weren’t at least given the option to make their troops coed. I also believe that eventually this is where the troop level is going.

3 Likes

It may have caused as many problems as it solved, but I think the current configuration was essentially “baby steps” to get the ball rolling.

2 Likes

Our camps have had girls attending as Staff and Venture Crew for many years and have facilities for Boys, Girls, Men, and Women. Granted the Girls facilities are far smaller than the Boy facilities so if in the future large numbers of girls start attending they will need to expand. I see benefit though of having options, perhaps some weeks boy only, some girl only and some CoEd, I realize this will limit the options as far as dates go for Units. I see benefit in both interaction as well as separation of the different Units. It would be nice to have options.

This right here. I fully expect a coed announcement in the future and our two units expect to combine into one eventually.

3 Likes

I believe so too but it needs to be done in steps to keep some elements in scouting from going nuts

I hope so. One of the biggest reservations our committee had was resource management if we tried to field two troops (people and materials)…

1 Like