Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Grandfathered Merit Badge requirements

I appreciate BSA’s attempt to keep requirements up to date, but what do you do when a Scout has a partial from a previous version? I am assuming that they could complete it under that version’s specifications, but I cannot find anything that states that.

Help?

BSA Guide to Advancement: The Merit Badge Program
7.0.4.3 What to Do When Requirements Change

Once work has begun, the Scout may continue using the requirements he or she started with until completion of the badge. Alternatively, the Scout may choose to switch to the revised requirements. Sometimes, however— especially for more significant changes—the Scouts BSA Handbook, the Scouts BSA Requirements book, www. scouting.org/meritbadges, or official communications from the National Council may set forth a different procedure that must be used and may establish a date by when use of the old requirements must cease.

There is no time limit between starting and completing a badge, although a counselor may determine so much time has passed since any effort took place that the new requirements must be used.

The authoritative source for all merit badge requirements is the current year’s Scouts BSA Requirements book.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.