BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Ham radio

For one council international committees with elderly members I found that I, a ham radio operator and district member-at-large, had to become a member of the council international committee and take the JOTA planning lead. My relief, another district-level leader, is now doing that.

Even in my own family I have relatives that are Scouters, but do not use computers or ham radio.

WOSM JOTA-JOTI introduction

from WOSM World Events web page.

JOTA-JOTI

What? Jamboree On The Air - Jamboree On The Internet (JOTA-JOTI®) is an event that enables Scouts (and Guides) from all over the world to meet, even though they might not be in the same geographical location. JOTA-JOTI uses Amateur Radio and the Internet. It is the largest Scouting event in the world with over 1 million youth participating. The first JOTA took place in 1958 and the first JOTI in 1997.

Who? Scouts (and Guides) of any age can participate in JOTA-JOTI. (Amateur radio stations normally need to be operated by licensed amateur radio operators.)

When? It is an annual event that takes place the third weekend of October. Future dates are:
• 19 to 21 October 2018
• 18 to 20 October 2019
• 16 to 18 October 2020
• 15 to 17 October 2021
• 21 to 23 October 2022
• 20 to 22 October 2023

More information, please visit www.world-jotajoti.info.
Reports on past JOTA-JOTI events can be found at www.world-jotajoti.info/annualreports.

For BSA information and links see previous post # 3.

2 Likes

@Bill_W the thing was that the the international committee came to me and another ham to lead the event. When we tried to contact them and the council about more information and event details of when and where they wanted us to set up etc. they never got back to us or never got a strait answer. But thats in the past so thats why im sticking with the district and unit level JOTA event.

Has anyone ever requested a loaner radio from K2BSA for JOTA or other events?

Time to start planning for JOTA in October!

1 Like

@Bill_W yea Im talking with my troops/district about where we’ll do it. once thats set Ill register either with my call or troop call sign.

CQ CQ CQ (Calling all stations)

National Preparedness Month (September)

Partners in Service: FEMA Announces Plans for September National Preparedness Month

Next month (September) is National Preparedness Month with the theme Prepared, Not Scared. Be Ready for Disasters National Preparedness Month (NPM) is recognized each September to promote family and community disaster and emergency planning now and throughout the year. This year’s campaign will feature PSAs and multimedia products around four weekly themes:

• Week 1: Sept 1-7 Save Early for Disaster Costs
  • Week 2: Sept 8-14 Make a Plan to Prepare for Disasters
  • Week 3: Sept 15-21 Teach Youth to Prepare for Disasters
  • Week 4: Sept 22-30 Get Involved in Your Community’s Preparedness

Content has been loaded on the Ready.gov National Preparedness Month Toolkit webpage. This year, FEMA wants participants, which include ARES operators, to share their activities and success stories. The longtime ARRL partner wants brief descriptions of what you are planning for National Preparedness Month. Send them to FEMA-IGA@fema.dhs.gov with the word NPM in the subject line. An appropriate, brief submission would be your planned or conducted ARRL Simulated Emergency Test (SET) activity. Many groups will be holding their SET during September and through the fall. The primary League-sponsored national emergency exercise is designed to assess the skills and preparedness of ARES and other organizations involved with emergency/disaster response. Here’s an opportunity to let FEMA know about it.

In June 2003, ARRL became an official affiliate program of Citizen Corps, an initiative within the Department of Homeland Security to enhance public preparedness and safety. The Statement of Affiliation makes ARRL an affiliate under the four charter Citizen Corps programs–Neighborhood Watch, Volunteers in Police Service, Community Emergency Response Teams and Medical Reserve Corps

Per the ARES E-Letter for August 21, 2019, Copyright © 2019 American Radio Relay League, Incorporated. Use and distribution of this publication, or any portion thereof, is permitted for non-commercial or educational purposes, with attribution. All other purposes require written permission.

ARRL and BSA Radio Scouting

ARES is the Amateur Radio Emergency Service of the American Amateur Radio League (ARRL). ARRL is a sponsor of the BSA Radio Scouting program including the Amateur Radio option of the Radio merit badge.

1 Like

CQ CQCQ

JOTA - What if HF is not open

Anyone want to comment on what they do when HF is not open?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.