Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Instructor position in troop

To be an “instructor” for a leadership position for rank, does that position have to have training before they can be the instructor in the troop?

I’m not aware of any specific requirements for instructors to be trained. That said, as an ASM and parent, I would want to have some confidence that the instructor teaching my scouts knows his or her subject matter.

I advise our troop’s navigation instructor. I advised him on preparing an instructional and testing reference for navigation rank requirements. Essentially, he took each rank requirement related to navigation and specified what the performance requirements were to get that rank requirement marked off. I reviewed it for consistency with the requirements as written and the Guide to Advancement. Hopefully, it will serve as a living document for future instructors and other senior scouts to reference (and update!) when reviewing their fellow scouts for navigation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.