BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

IOLS Training Proof

Just wondering of there was a shoulder cord or badge or something that show I have IOLS training. Something besides the card.

Nope. If you’ve completed all of the other SM/ASM training and wear the SM/ASM leader patch, you can wear the Trained leader strip, which would indicate that you completed IOLS, since it’s a required component.

Some Councils have something. Mine has an Oak Leaf Bolo.

Yeah, it’s true that there are some locally-recognized insignia. I assumed @ArnoldHerrick was talking about nationally-recognized ones.

I’ve seen folks around my council wearing “Trained” strips that say IOLS or BALOO, but I have assumed that these are not official BSA items, as they’re not listed at scoutstuff.org.

From the school of hard knocks: keep your cards and certificates safe. It’s taken sending a copy of mine multiple times this year to restore a deleted training record.
Frankly, I’m thinking of storing pictures of my certs in E-mail drafts to be able to send them to whomever asks whenever they need it!

2 Likes

A badge or emblem is not a proof that you have taken the training.

Per the Basic Position-Specific Requirement list:

S11 - Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) is an outdoor classroom training required for Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters to be classified as position trained.

For Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters: The national badge is the basic “Trained leader emblem”: worn with the Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster position badge. NOTE: There are different colored basic trained leader emblems for different Scouting programs.

• red, No. 18120, Cub Scout and Venturing leaders, district and council Leaders;
  • forest green, No. 18064, Scout (Scout BSA) leaders;
  • black, No. 639675, Sea Scouts and Sea Scout leaders.

per Guide to Awards and Insignia (2018), Training Awards chapter.

The awards central page appears to be out-of-date and incomplete.

I can’t emphasize this enough. I recently looked at my SB record and six of my classes were not there. Fortunately I had scanned in copies of every certificate I earned and was able to send electronic copies to the Council to get my scouting record updated. This is especially true if you take a class outside of your council and they never turn in your record.

Also a good idea to scan in your scouts’ blue cards too as they earn them (or partials from camp). All too easy for these to get lost somewhere.

SB is a advancement recording tool for youth and young adult participants. The official training records for adult volunteer leaders are recorded in a separate database accessed via the my.Scouting Tools website. What do you see in

I’m missing quite a bit. I’m missing:

IOLS (taken out of council)
RSO (taken in council)
USA Archery Level 1 (taken at private instructor)
Safe Swim Defense (taken out of council)
Paddlecraft Safety (taken out of council)
Leave No Trace Trainer (taken out of council)

Thankfully I have copies of all the receipts scanned. I even emailed them to Council a month ago, and the record is still not updated.

@PaulHoeffer, your Unit Key 3 (or Unit Training Chair, if designated in my.scouting) can add your training to your official record via my.scouting Training Manager. I’ve had to do the same thing for some training I’ve taken over the years.

2 Likes

Certain registered adult leaders in your unit should be able to add most of those for you (perhaps all) using the Training Manager at my.scouting.org (you cannot add them for yourself.) You would just need to show them your certificates.

Unit Key 3:

• Unit leader (Cubmaster / Scoutmaster / crew Advisor / ship Skipper)
  • Committee Chair
  • Chartered Org. Rep.

Also:

• Key 3 Delegates
  • Unit Training Chair
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.