Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Job Descriptions

Can someone send me a link to where I can find the description of each position for adult leaders.? I like to have it handy when new opening come up and I am having trouble finding it.

TIA, Connie

Under Adult

1 Like

Thank you Neil, I did see this. Do you know if there are short and sweet job descriptions. I love giving the Sciuts the job description cards when they take in a new role. Was curious if they have something like that for adult positions.

What positions are you looking for? As adults, you can only register as a Scoutmaster, ASM, Committee Chair, Committee Member, or COR, and those are all explained in the link that @NealMcGuire provided.

Thanks everyone! I found it in the Troop Committee Challenge. Perfect little cards with brief descriptions.

Page 32

One thing to consider – whether it’s imortant or not, I don’t know – is that most of the adult positions have corresponding youth positions, so there’s an opportunity for some synergy between your committee and your youth.

• Scoutmaster - SPL
  • ASM - ASPL
  • Training Chair - Troop Guide and Instructor
  • Committee Secretary - Troop Scribe
  • Chaplain - Chaplain Aide
  • Equipment Coordinator - Quartermaster
  • Unit OA Advisor - OA Representative

Building on this point, we actually have ASMs assigned to each of our patrols to facilitate patrol activities (e.g. ensure adult leader presence at all patrol activities, serve as a direct link between the PL and the committee rather than having to route all patrol activities through the SPL and/or SM, help proposed patrol activity planning maintain BSA rule compliance, etc). It also gives each PL an adult adviser off of whom they can bounce ideas before taking them to the full patrol or with whom they can strategize when they’re facing a difficult issue in the patrol. It frees up the SM to focus on larger “troop” issues, and then coordinate with the ASMs on “patrol” issues from a strategic rather than tactical perspective.

We also have ASMs and/or MCs who are subject-matter “experts” advising various subject-matter-expert Instructors (e.g. physician advising First Aid Instructor, adult with navigation skills advising Navigation Instructor, sailor advising Knots & Lashings Instructor) which helps the PLC maintain continuity when the various instructors transition at troop election time. It also helps the instructors having an adult to bounce ideas off of and ask questions they might get but don’t otherwise have a reliable source for (e.g. distinguishing arterial from venous bleeds, details of how GPS works, history of certain knots).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.