Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Leadership and committee

Can a committee member also serve as a den leader in the pack? I don’t see any regulations regarding about this issue.
Thank you!

@RochelleBeasley what I have always heard is technically “no”

1 Like

This has become muddier with Packs. Some of the current training / documentation does say that DLs are members of the committee.

One of the reasons why this had not been allowed before is that DL is one of the hardest adult roles in all of Scouting. So, the concept is that a portion of adults are DL (the program side) and a portion worry about the mechanics of the Pack (the staff or bureaucratic side). This helps the quality of the program, the sweating of the details on the committee, and reduction in burnout.

There are clear rules that specify that an adult may only register in one position with any given unit, except the Chartered Org Rep who can also register in a couple of committee-side positions. That information is in the BSA registration guidebook, if I recall correctly. The guidance I have received is that scouters should only serve in the role in which they are registered. I don’t personally think that’s very practical in smaller units which might need one registered scouter to serve in more than one functional role, but not surprisingly my opinion doesn’t hold any sway with the BSA.

There may be local regulations/laws that impact the difference between a youth-contact role (e.g. DL, ADL, CM, ACM) and a generally non-contact role (e.g. MC, CC, COR) in terms of required training, certifications, and so forth. Based on that, I would say your best bet is to talk to your district exec (or maybe district chair) to get an official reading on issues like that locally. They might kick you up the chain to someone at council like the Scout Exec or one of the deputies. I would expect the official line that you serve in the registered role, and that only one registered role per person per unit is permitted, though.

1 Like

Registration Guidebook of the Boy Scouts of America

There are no restrictions on the number of positions one person may hold as long as the individual serves in only one position per unit with the exception of the chartered organization representative (CR), who is the only individual that can be registered in more than one position within the same unit. The CR may also serve in a multiple capacity as the committee chair (CC) or as a member of the committee (MC, NM, or PT) within that unit.

1 Like

Den Leaders are committee members (source 6/1/21 cub scout leader training syllabus)
Every pack is required to have a pack committee. At a minimum, a pack
committee has a committee chair, treasurer, and secretary. Successful
packs actively recruit as many parents as possible to serve on the pack
committee.
The new member coordinator, outdoor activities chair, and
advancement chair are official positions on the committee, and you can
find position descriptions for these and other positions in the Cub Scout
Leader Book. Other positions you may include on your pack committee
include a pinewood derby coordinator, fundraising coordinator, blue
and gold banquet coordinator, and others as needed.
The Cubmaster, any assistant Cubmasters, and den leaders or other
representatives of each Cub Scout den also serve on the committee.
Their inclusion ensures excellent communication and planning between
all leaders and committee members.

Ron

1 Like

We don’t have “committee” meetings. We have parents meetings where all parents are welcome.

If I limited to the committee I would have 2-3 people meetings

I don’t have enough adults so we all do double duty on roles. I have one actual den leader total.

The program needs to change as the program shrinks and double duty should be expected.

Our pack has what is called leadership meetings. When I became Committee chair a few years ago, I changed our Committee meetings to leadership meetings so that all pack leaders would be included.

As far as multiple roles, a lot of our adult leaders have multiple roles. In addition to being committee chair, Im also my son’s den leader, same with my Cubmaster and ACM. Our pack has shrunk over the last year or so, so the number of families to pull adult leaders from is small. I do try to get new adults to sign up, but that’s always tough and you can’t force people to sign up.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.